Another 'Look at my list and tell me what needs fixing' Thread :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiper has been making PSU's for a while now. The Type-R series are a very acceptable brand of PSU. They may not be as trusted as some of the highest brands but trust me when I tell you that that is a good PSU and as Apok stated, the modular system is amazing.

So, I've acquired some parts.
ThermalTake Armor, Hiper 580w Blue PSU, Seagate 7200.10 500gb for storage, couple of dvd drives, logitech g5, logitech x-230.. etc.

I think I'm leaning towards getting an Asus P5B-E over the Gigabyte DS3. And also possibly a e6xxx instead of the e4300.

If i do go with the P5B-E, is there memory that goes/performs better with it?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far and information provided by this forum. I'm quite content with my purchases so far and I'm getting pretty eager to buy the rest so I can enjoy my new system :happy:

The P5B-E is a good solid choice however if your on a tighter budget the DS3 may be better for you as 25 bucks can go a long way sometimes. Still both are great boards.

The E4300 is a good choice becuase it's cheaper, and can overclock very high with cheaper memory. The E6xx is known for pretty much all hitting 3.0ghz+ while the E4300 can hit 4.0ghz+ but you really have to play with the settings. It's really your call on that one.

As for memory just get any G.Skill DDR2-800 set.

My budget isn't so tight that I can't put 25 extra dollars or so towards something.

I also decided to pick up a 7900GS right now instead of an 8800GTS, and possibly step up in a few months. Is DX10 something I need now? The 7900gs shouldn't have a problem with a 22" widescreen lcd right?

I'm waiting until the end of april/start of may before purchasing my cpu. So we'll see how the prices are and such then.

Also, are there any miscellaneous parts that I might be forgetting? I suppose I'll need an anti-static strap.

Major things left to get on my list are the gfx card( evga 7900gs ), monitor( benq 22" lcd - also going to be used with my ps3), HSF( artic cooling 7?), ram( 2gb g.skill ), cpu( c2d..), mb( p5b-e ), and a drive or drives for the os.

I was also thinking about picking up an icydock

and a temp monitor/fan controller.. like a thermaltake hardcano 12-se

but can't seem to find it in stock anywhere.

My budget isn't so tight that I can't put 25 extra dollars or so towards something.

I also decided to pick up a 7900GS right now instead of an 8800GTS, and possibly step up in a few months. Is DX10 something I need now? The 7900gs shouldn't have a problem with a 22" widescreen lcd right?
No, you don't need DirectX 10. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get an 8800. The 8800's can play all DirectX 9 games very well, and they perform better than the 7900's.
DirectX 10 is just a bonus.

Whatever you do, don't buy major components until you have all the money to buy and build the whole PC. The PC hardware market changes on a weekly basis.

Example: Both Intel and AMD will be slashing CPU prices of most of their newest CPU's this month. AMD starting April 9th and Intel Starting April 22nd. You can probably save 20-40% on a CPU right there.

8800GTX's will be going down in price to counter ATI's release of the R600's.

DDR2 memory will be lowering in price due to overstock.

DDR2 based motherboards are really virgin right now. There are a few decent ones, but you'll spend a buttload of money for them. Wait a few more months.

So, I'm planning on buying everything else I need within the couple weeks.
I noticed that these are on sale:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
With free shipping. Should I jump on those?

I also think I'm leaning more towards getting an Abit AB9 Quad GT or Asus P5b Deluxe. The Abit has a nice rebate going on... anyone have experience with this board? I've read some nice reviews on it.. although several people had issues with the bios and such.. but an update isnt going to stop me.

Newegg.com - ABIT AB9 QuadGT LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom