OC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
hey guys ..
well today after calling OCZ to figure out the right timing for my memory ..it ended up with oc my cpu ...(long story... )...but iam actually not sure about the settings we ended up with ....
Now in BIOS i have the fallowing :
#Cpu Freq {2.4} ..... default {2.0}
#Pci express clock {101} .......default{100}............why did we change this to 101?
#Cpu multi {10x}...default {auto}
#HT {auto}.......now shouldn't we have changed this because we changed the cpu frequency so the HT stays within range??
......now as for my ram ...
#memory timing {333} ...default was set to 400 (not sure if it was right to begin with )
#command rate {1t}.....default{2t}

.....now as for voltage everything is on default except the DDR voltage which was changed to 1.7 and the cpu voltage to 1.457 ........
so what do you think so far ????
http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/4563/35553174mn0.jpg

yeah i noticed that 2 ....so i dropped my OC to 2.4 @default voltage because it actually froze after i posted ..lets see how its does now...but iam not sure about all of my settings ..any ideas?

try 1.45 or 1.44 or something along those lines. You can get stable temps from anywhere around 2.4-3.0ghz with the stock cooler.

Your cpu temperature on load is high. I know I have a different chip but my load temp is 43 celcius.

no, it is not.
it will likely get that high with that much voltage, if you use stock cooling. up to (at least) 60*C you are comfortable with an opty. you should probably be able to reach 2.5 or so with a .5v increase, though. so your voltage is quite high for a 400mhz overclock, and probably unnneccesary.

other things:
change the pci clock back to 100, you may have inadvertantly hit it up.
your cpu multi is fine.
your ht has changed, if it hadnt on the cpu screenie you took it would say "HT link: 1250" (250 x 5) it has lowered the HT multiplier for you. go ahead and put the HT multi to 3(which is what your mobo has done for you), or at the very least, 4. 4 only if you do not plan on clocking the bus speed much past 250. if you are freezing up, that is likely the reason (your HT is overclocked and it doesnt like it).
your memory timing is set to auto as well, so it is slowing it down as not to overclock it. leave it at 333, probably, unless you encounter further stability problems. in which case drop it to the next lower speed available.
command rate at 1T is fine unless you put a whoopin overclock on your RAM, in which case you will need to change it to 2T. if you encounter stability problems with you RAM (memtest), raise it to 2T or drop the RAM speed another notch.

ok ..well i changed cpu voltage to 1.4 instead of auto and dropped my Ht frequency to 3x and raised the chip voltage just a bit to 1.6 from 1.5 ..and lastly set the pci back to 100 ...iam running prime now well see how that goes...by the way i have a Zalman CNPS9500 and i was wondering what should my temps be around for both Idl and load?
iam going to keep prime running for few hours and ill post the results when its done.....
thanks everyone...
***nagasama :thanks for the helpful info

Regardless if hes giving it too much extra voltage or not, yes his temperature on load is too high considering 70 degrees celcius is its max recommended operating temperature.

Regardless if hes giving it too much extra voltage or not, yes his temperature on load is too high considering 70 degrees celcius is its max recommended operating temperature.
true but after i set the cpu voltage to 1.4 with prime running in the background for the past 2 hours my temps now are at 48

Then up the voltage and FSB a little more and see if you cant push it further as 48 is quite cool. As nagasama stated you can go to up to at least 60 and he says 70 with optys. I don't know too much about Opty's so go with him on that one.

well so far so good prime has been running for the past 4-5 hours all good and dandy ..max temp it got 2 is 49c.....
iam thinking about trying a full 2.6 or even 2.7 change from 2.5...i mean with a1.45 voltage that should hold fine....what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom