Installed new graphics card, now pc won't turn on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

capa2000

Beta member
Ok...need some advice.

Just installed a new BFG GeForce 6600 GT AGP card into a Dell Dimension 4550 (1gb RAM) with an upgraded psu to Silencer - 410 Dell-2 (410 watts).

As soon as I put in the card, the system would not turn on. I saw green lights on mb and inputs in back of machine were lit, but that's it. Hard drive was not spinning. It was drawing power, but it would not start up (no boot). Also, the videocard fan was not moving so no power to the card, even though I did connect a 4 pin connector (tried 2 of them).

When I took card out and reinstalled previous card, system came on and booted no problem.

Anyone have any ideas? is there a way to verify what your psu is running at? Should be 410 but if it is under 350, I don't think this card will waork. But the machine should still be able to boot up, no?

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

on the PSU it should be labeled how much watts the PSU is running. you can try running the video card with the 350 watt PSU but to me it sounds like a faulty PSU (the 410watt)

on the PSU it should be labeled how much watts the PSU is running. you can try running the video card with the 350 watt PSU but to me it sounds like a faulty PSU (the 410watt)

I am wondering if it is some sort of mismatch related to the AGP slot and voltage in what the card expects. I had read where others were using this card with the same machine I have (Dimension 4550) so I thought it would be an easy 1-2-3. Hardware...yuck...

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom