need help with upgrading my laptop processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunami

Solid State Member
i have a Celeron M Processor 420 1.6GHz 1MB 533MHz 90nm socket 478.
im need to get the cpu up to 1.8GHz...

here is a link for info on the processor i have right now...
PROVANTAGE: Intel BX80538420 Celeron M Processor 420 1.6GHz 1MB 533MHz 90nm

is it possible for me to upgrade to this?
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors - M 1.80 GHz - SL6FH

would the switch work? i don't know a whole lot about processors...

btw if there is a better processor out there fill me in...i just need the cheapest processor that'll reach 1.8 GHz

for a start here i think i should clarify that the processor you have here should actually be a socket 479 processor, not a s478 processor. there is a difference, though "s479" actually has 478 pins :p. the key here is to just be certain you have the correct series of s479. any Pentium M should be fine for that (to my knowledge).

Hello,

According to my knowledge, and the package mechancial specifications in the datasheets, the Intel Celeron M 420 (SL8VZ) processor is 65nm, Socket 478 Micro-FCPGA.

The Mobile Intel Pentium 4 (SL6FH) processor is also Socket 478 Micro-FCPGA.

How have you identified the processor you currently have? I'm in the process of upgrading my laptop processor, and when I use CPU-Z to verify the specs of my Intel Celeron M 430 processor, it shows it as being Socket 479 m-PGA...whereas The Intel Celeron M (65nm) datasheet state that the Intel Celeron M 430 processor is available only in 478 pin Micro-FCPGA and 479 ball Micro-PCBGA, and the actual socket on my laptop's motherboard says s478.

The best thing to do is to physically take a look at the socket on the motherboard and the pins on the processor itself.

for a start here i think i should clarify that the processor you have here should actually be a socket 479 processor, not a s478 processor. there is a difference, though "s479" actually has 478 pins :p. the key here is to just be certain you have the correct series of s479. any Pentium M should be fine for that (to my knowledge).

would i be able to use: Intel Pentium M 740 / 1.73 GHz processor ( mobile )

and overclock it to 1.8 somehow????

Hello,

According to my knowledge, and the package mechancial specifications in the datasheets, the Intel Celeron M 420 (SL8VZ) processor is 65nm, Socket 478 Micro-FCPGA.

The Mobile Intel Pentium 4 (SL6FH) processor is also Socket 478 Micro-FCPGA.

How have you identified the processor you currently have? I'm in the process of upgrading my laptop processor, and when I use CPU-Z to verify the specs of my Intel Celeron M 430 processor, it shows it as being Socket 479 m-PGA...whereas The Intel Celeron M (65nm) datasheet state that the Intel Celeron M 430 processor is available only in 478 pin Micro-FCPGA and 479 ball Micro-PCBGA, and the actual socket on my laptop's motherboard says s478.

The best thing to do is to physically take a look at the socket on the motherboard and the pins on the processor itself.

yeh in cpu-z it says socket 479 mPGA

btw your sig says you have celeron 340 not 430...might want to fix that

OOpp. Cheers :D.

What is your budget?

Personally I would get a Core Solo, Core Duo, or Core 2 Duo processor, but it depends on how much money you're willing to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom