New school games on old school system

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacharyt

Solid State Member
I know the argument about how quick things go outdated, usually right after you buy the latest and greatest. But I know that I, after about 5 years, gamed on a relatively low budget system, and was happy with it for a long time! My last rig was a Dell with a 1 GHz P3, Geforce 4 ti 4600 (remember when these were the best?), and 512 mb of ram. And this system lasted all the way through Serious Sam 2! I got into my new car, a Mustang GT, so I got out of computers for about the last 2 years, but have decided that after trying to play some of the new games, it is about time to retire it. :( I was actually very happy with it, even if it couldn't pump out the 100+ framerates on Half-Life 2, but it did put out a pretty consistent 20-30 fps. Now I'm going all out on a new rig. I want a Core 2 Extreme 2.66 quad, duel geforce 8800 gtx's(probably evga), 2 gig corsair ram, all put together on an asus striker extreme, an Apevia X-Discovery case(Newegg.com - APEVIA X-DISCOVERY-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail) and come liquid cooling (haven't thought of what type yet though). Anybody else still have an old school rig? Post it here! I would like to hear about what old school rigs still try to pump out the frames on new games.:D

first off let me just say
NOOOOOOOOO
do not get a quad core as there isnt a perfrmance increase that justifies the price, get a core 2 e6600 for around 300 bucsk that gets the same performance and will last just as long as that current quad
also dont get 2 8800gtx's as the performance increase is also not worth the price, plus its going to be hard to get just one in that case and i highly doubt you would ever be able to fit two in there
corsair xms2 sucks go with some cheap g skill DDR2 800 for i think around 10 bucks and overclocks great
the asus striker is also over priced you can get the same performance from the ASUS P5b Deluxe for less then half the price

all in all that system would be an overkill and i would highly advise against it

Well I'll bet the people on here will be hard pressed to beat the system I'm about to post with an older one that can actually run Windows XP. Right now I am using an old 1999 Compaq Presario as network-attached storage. It's got an AMD Athlon K-6 processor, at I think, 350 or 400 MHz? 192 megs of 100-MHz SDRAM (upgraded), and the crappiest integrated graphics ever. I can't even watch video on it because it plays at around .5 frames per second. It works fine as a server though, so I'm happy with it.

The dell computer I'm on right now with a P4 1.6 GHz, 512 megs RAM, and GeForce 6200 graphics typically plays Guild Wars at around 15-20 frames per second. I know I'd get better fps if I reformatted, because it's full of junk thats slowing it down right now, but I'm holding off until summer.

I'm posting this on my HP Pavilion with 128MB SDRAM, 800mhz Intel Pentium 3 Copperfield (Same Proc used in xbox), ATI 9200SE PCI 128MB, 20GB harddrive, and integrated sound. I'm running xp and I keep this baby clean as a whistle. If I didn't tell you the specs of the computer, you would never know, as long as you were just using the internet or word processing and such. I use this computer for surfing the web, watching movies in my room, downloading movies and programs for my other computers, and random school work. Works great for my media and school needs.

corsair xms2 sucks

bowchikawowow-1.jpg

really?
*disclaimer* actual results will vary lol.

Quad cores are the best along with corsair mem. I can post my non oc resaults and everthing is going great. check out my thread tittled pics of new rig

quade cores arent worth it in almost all situations you can get pretty much the same performance with a dual core and save ALOT of money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom