Manually set Ram timings/voltage or use auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello All,

I recently did a new build. MSI P6N Sli-Fi motherboard. At first, I used G.skill ram which wouldn't post, and after adding some voltage I was able to post but locked at Windows Splash. Now I have some Corsair Ram, I popped it in, and windows loaded right up and all seems well. Part #TWIN2X2048-6400

My question, should I manually set timings and voltage or leave at Auto?
Ram Guy at Corsair suggested using 2.0volts for the ram and manually setting the timings. After my first trouble of being unable to post, now I'm afraid to mess with anything but I really do want the most of the system.

For reference, here's my POST at the Corsair Site.
Difference between TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and TWIN2X2048-6400 for MSI P6N Sli-Fi? - The House of Help Support Forums

Is it difficult to manually set the timings?

Or will just up'g the voltage give me faster speeds?

Any help is appreciated, I'm trying to learn but I get pretty nervous on this stuff and since I seem to be running well I'm afraid to break something now! LOL NO more RMA's! :)

Also, on my previous board using 2 ram sticks for dual channel I had to put them in the same matching colored slots. In my MSI mainboard manual it says to use slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for dual, and I am using 1 and 3. Do some manufacturers do it that way? Want to make sure I have it set up correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom