Bad Performance after CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

themainman62

Solid State Member
Hi, I recently upgraded my cpu from a P4 2.66 Ghz Northwood to a P4 3.0E 3Ghz Prescott with HT, socket 478. The first time I booted up the system everything ran great and I saw a big performance increase, but ever since then everything seems to have crashed... any solution to this? thanks btw my mobo is a Intel 865PE

more info would be nice...
so whats going on it wont boot or POST or does it run laggy?!?!?
have you reapplied your thermal paste on your cpu?

It will boot, and for the most part run ok, but in games the frames per second is really really low. It seems as if it never even gets above 10fps in any of my games and they are unplayable. This is on games that were 50+ Fps before the "upgrade".

My System (Dimesion 4600)
XFX 7600GT
Intel 865PE
1.5 GB Corsair XMS RAM
P4 3.0E 3GHz w/HT

It doesnt appear to be running hot @ 37 degree C, so I dont think the thermal paste is the problem

im not sure but do you have a driver installed for your Cpu?
if so reinstall it because it still might have configuration from the last Cpu u had.
i was also thinking about your Video card.. How hot does it run?
also since you changed your cpu i would suggest reseting the BIOS so that it can have a fresh start and a clear setting. But first write down your previous setting so you can set it up once the BIOS is cleared

I don't think there is a driver for my CPU I've gone to intel's website and downloaded anything that would be applicable to it, but I didn't acctually see any actual driver. The graphics card runs @ 49 degrees Celcius for the most part, which isn't too hot I dont think, it was at the same temp b4 the "upgrade" and didnt have these issues b4. I have a dell so the bios are kinda screwy, but I changed my bios version from A07 to A12 and that didn't help.

you could try putting your old chip back in, if that resolves the issues then you know its a problem with the new chip.
Are you sure your mobo fully supports the new chip? - either way theres always the chance its dud

I don't think it is a dud because every game I play will start out with like 80 fps, but then the frames will free-fall to like 15 fps, it sounds like overheating, but I'm not sure it is I can't get a reading on the temperature using any of the temp sensing programs, but my CPU fan is working fine and I've applied and reapplied thermal paste twice both times it does the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom