Got a question about an Acer Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
Ok, heres my situation, i mainly play Counter Strike: Source and Dawn of War on occasion. At this point i dont plan on getting any of the new games such as Crysis and Stalker as they just dont seem very fun to me as i'm a big online player.

I have found this:
Newegg.com - Acer Power AP1000-UA381P Athlon 64 3800+ 512MB DDR2 80GB NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Windows XP Professional - Retail

and was wondering if the Geforce 6150 (with system memory upgrade of course) would be suitable for CS:S. I'm not worried about big flashy graphics and all that stuff as i'm already running it on a freakin FX5200 so i know what low graphics means, all i want is playable FPS above 30 (can dip below, doesnt bother me).

My only reason for not getting a big and bad 8600 when they come out is because i seem to have lost enthusiasm for PC gaming, i'm not sure why really, but all in all as long as i can play the occasional game of CS:S or DoW at playable FPS i'll be happy. At this point i think i need start playing my 360 more since i've had it collecting dust since Christmas (only 2 games)

you should be fine with the graphics card if u dont care to have them turned down. But if u are really into CS i found that it helps to have a good graphics, so u can see things like shadows and such. But its a decent computer otherwise.

Do you know that for 450 bucks you can custom build a system with:

Athlon X2 3600+ Dual-Core
Gefore 700GT Videocard
1GB DDR2-677 RAM
Cool looking Case

I mean...you could probbaly run CS:S with a 6150 but it wouldnt be that good. The 7600GT is a very powerful card for the price and if you play on a low resolution you WILL max out CS:S EASY as well as play medium or so graphics on a lot of new games.

I know you may have thought you don't want to build your PC but still....your getting LITERALLY for the same price everything twice as powerful and as much.

1Gb ram instead of 512
Dual-core instead of single
7600GT instead of 6150

the 7600gt is more like 5 times as powerful as well...even a 7300GT will max out CS:S lmao.

i see where you're going Sora, but if i run it maxed out i'll probably do what i did to Doom 3, I played it on a G4 MX4000 on low then switched to a 6600GT and the graphics were so good and so smooth i just couldnt play it, i dont know why. Its just that once i have gotten used to playing a game a certain way i find it VERY hard to switch.

Well then get a worse video card? As weird as that sounds...

This is your custom system to build it how you would like it. Don't screw yourself over by paying 100 bucks more for a single core and only 512 ram...I would suggest a 7300GT regardless as it is pretty much as good as the 6600GT for 70 bucks. Still theres always the 6600LE and other lower cards that aren't as good.

If you will consider this which I implore you to do this highly as every component you can choose will be BETTER than what the Acer would have been supplied with.

ok ok, lets blank out some of this for a moment. I know you have made suggestion and you'd rather me go with a standard computer (not compact ro anything as like the link i provided), but in a real world stance how would CS:S perform on the 6150? On my 5200 i'm running an 1024x768 with all settings at low in DX9 mode, how would they compare if set head to head with those settings?

well to tell you the truth thats fine with me. I'm guessing allocate 256 to video after system memory would be upgraded to 1GB?

The only thing i dont understand is that the benchmarks i have seen with HL2 (close enough for CS:S) with the 6150 run an average of about 25FPS but they never seem to state the settings only the resolution. If my 5200 is only a little less powerful then the i guess it should be fine honestly

oh and would it be that hard to dump it and install my own copy of XP? to get rid of all the pre-installed crap or would i be better off the just delete the stuff and live with it so that i dont screw over the warrenty?

You would need 1GB or at least 768 to allocate 256 of your ram to video and still get good frames.

If you can't build piece by piece due to your age then you could try a site like Ibuypower or cyberpc as you can customize and get what you need on there for cheaper than something like Acer. I still highly suggest something like at LEAST a 6600LE

the 6600LE isn't very fast but it would give you 45-50.

oh no no, i can build my own, i payed for and built my last one, its just that since i have practically lost all enthusiasim to play PC games i just dont want to build one but if all else fails i can build one i suppose.

If i do build one i want a small case, my current Centurion 5 is just taking up to much space for my likings and i cant even use the front audio which sucks cause i use a mic alot and its a pain to plug the headphone peice in as well.

I recall seeing a low profile 7600GS, is there one?

and

any small case reccomendations? preferably low profile so i can set it on my desk (dont ask, the way my desk is designed you cant set a tower on it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom