First time computer builder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is a gaming PC then I would go X2 and then an X1950XT.

Read before you post:

I'll most likely be running Ubuntu (maybe dual booting Windows for some light-medium gaming). The system will be primarily used for general office, web stuff, with some video encoding (I still need to pick a capture card), and a little gaming - and I want it to be as upgradeable and long lasting as possible.

Besides, getting an X2 is not a matter of whether you're gaming or not. Athlon dual-core processors are good for budget builds, because they're very cheap and still competent. With a little more budget, Core 2 Duos are undisputed winners.

Also, I don't think I'd ever recommend an X1950XT for a gaming build (unless seriously restricted by budget). Such card costs $220-$250. The 8800GTS 320MB costs around $50 more, and it massacres the ATI card.

Why would you recommend an X2 4600 while the man had an Athlon 3800 originally. All he needs is any Dual Core CPU, not the 4th best one.

Get the X2 3600 as it is still very powerful and costs almost the same as the CPU you have chosen.

I didn't think 33 was a bad upgrade thats why?

Wow, feeling a little overwhelmed - but I guess that's normal.

It's funny, I was all pro-intel, and then all of a sudden I (with no evidence or reason) decided to go with AMD, and now I'm having a hard time changing my mind to go back.

I'm sure this is the first choice I need to make, and if, as Meithan says, Intel is more likely to keep the CPU socket consistent, then I should probably go with that...which will pretty well necessarily change all of my choices.

Any difference of opinion from anyone?

i dont really know of any specific reason that intel would be more likely to keep their current socket than amd.
bear in mind, though...amd will have a new socket that is backward-compatible with its current socket (am2) motherboards.
so, as far as consistency goes, i guess that could decide it for you unless you choose to wait for the new amd socket. or, you could get the am2 cpu and mobo, and still use the mobo when the new cpus are released. once again, nothing is certain in life, but amd has made assurances that the new cpus will work in am2 motherboards and with ddr2 RAM.
if you are starting a new build and have more than 5-600 dollars to spend, you may as well go c2d unless you have faith that amd will come through.
my opinion.

Wow, feeling a little overwhelmed - but I guess that's normal.

It's funny, I was all pro-intel, and then all of a sudden I (with no evidence or reason) decided to go with AMD, and now I'm having a hard time changing my mind to go back.

I'm sure this is the first choice I need to make, and if, as Meithan says, Intel is more likely to keep the CPU socket consistent, then I should probably go with that...which will pretty well necessarily change all of my choices.

Any difference of opinion from anyone?
AMD is going to make their future CPU's compatible with AM2.

They will make new sockets, AM2+ and AM3, but all CPU's in these sockets will fit and work in AM2.

socket AM2+ is exactly the same as AM2, except with a faster hypertransport bus
socket AM3 is identical in layout, but with one less pin. It will support DDR3, and use the faster hypertransport bus introduced in socket AM2+

Because AM3 CPU's will work in socket AM2+ and AM2, they will have to have a memory controller that supports DDR3 and DDR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom