Test to see if new power supply bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I just bought an Antec smartpower SP-500. I screwed it into the case but when I plugged it in the second internal fan did not go on. I believe it was supposed to start when plugged in. Then I tried to run a case fan by running a molex connector from a 6 pin connector on the power supply, and it did not work.

There is continuity between the plug in and the 6 pin connectors, but no voltage when I plug the unit in. How can I test to be sure the power supply is not working?

Most computer shops sell a tester for about $12.00 and if you have a voltage tester you can use that.

I do have a multimeter. What do I look for? I checked the 6 pin outlets in back, and there is no voltage there when the PSU is plugged in.

Do you mean a tester specifically designed for PSU's?

I'm a little confused by your original post, but if the PSU is not hooked up to a motherboard it will not turn on.

yes it will turn on if you know how to, even if it is not plugged in to mb.
My point is that it's not gonna turn on by itself when you flick the switch.

I know how to turn on a PSU sans mobo, but he's not doing this. He's wondering why its not working.

You should consider making more helpful replies rather than picking apart other peoples.

So it is true, you need to put a load on the psu to make it work? I was just plugging it in and trying to run some case fans off it. So that's why nothing is happening.

I hope that's the case. I just spent $85 on this thing.

So I think my choices are:

1) buy a special antec psu tester and waste $20
2)take it too a tech to test it and pay him
3)read up on my electronics basics and figure out a way to trick the thing into working without a motherboard.

I have the same PSU. The second fan on the back will not turn on until the unit gets hot enough.

To make it work without the motherboard, grab the big ATX connector and stuff a paperclip into the green wire and then into one of the black wires, then turn the power on on the powersupply.

dscn00691bn.jpg

I have the same PSU. The second fan on the back will not turn on until the unit gets hot enough.

To make it work without the motherboard, grab the big ATX connector and stuff a paperclip into the green wire and then into one of the black wires, then turn the power on on the powersupply.

dscn00691bn.jpg

somebody knows what im talking about, not like the other replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom