Why Can't I Upgrade... Vista Hates Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

saywhat5959

Baseband Member
First off let apologize for owning a Dell.

I have a Dell XPS Gen 4
PENTIUM 4 NORTHWOOD, 3.46, 2, 1066, SOCKET T
2x DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512, 533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
DVD DRIVE, 17G, 16X, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, LITEON, CHASSIS 2001, V5
DVD+/-RW, 16X, HALF HEIGHT, NEC CORPORATION, CHASSIS 2001
MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, 1394, SB0358
CONTROLLER, 1394A, PC INTERFACE, ADAPTEC
FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 20W, DUAL VOLTAGE, 2005FPW
GRAPHICS, 256, X850, UHMGA12
FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, TEAC, CHASSIS 2001
2x HARD DRIVE, 160GB, Serial ATA, 7.2K, 8MB, NATIVE COMMAND QUEUEING, SEAGATE
RAID 0
Serial ATA, TRANSFORMER SKY DIVE MINITOWER, 2.0

I can not get VISTA to install. Dell wont give me any support on it. MS doesn't know why. (Beacause it passes all the compatability tests). I had read that Vista htes the raid setup so I tried running it with one drive. it gets about half way throught the install and nothing. black startup screen with the green loading bar.

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks for all of your help

So you are trying to upgrade and it isnt working. Have you tried to jsut fresh install Vista? Does it give you the same result? The Vista upgrade, just like any other OS upgrade is junk at best. If there was any problem with your XP install, espically the kind you dont know about, that will have a adverse affect on your upgrade.

So i am guessing that there was a problem with your XP install. A Virus or something that has now affected your Vsta install.

Keep in mind you can no longer clean install using an upgrade disc with Vista. If you have the upgrade version, you must have XP installed and then upgrade to Vista.

Yes. I know for fact Vista hates Dells RAID controller. I thought there was a work around for the VISTA clean install. Clean install from XP then Upgrade from XP (as an evaluation version then do the clean upgrade again using the full version of VISTA.

I spoke awith a Dell rep who was almost helpful seeing how (BTW if you ever by anything like vista through dell heads up they don't support you because you didn't originally have it. ) Anyway I basically erased my RAID Setup and and sure enough, it almost got about halfway through. EVERYTIME after it unpacked everything. it would restart... and sit on the "BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH" with the green loading bar. just loading. after about 45 minutes boom "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom