Free slots on an Asus Stiker Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacharyt

Solid State Member
I really hope that there has not been any posts about this topic before. I searched around but didn't find any. Actually, I'm new to most of the newer technology out today, but used to be an avid computer builder back around the times of the 1 GHz pentiums:D

My question is actually about the Asus Striker Extreme. I know that when using newer video cards, such as the Geforce 8800 series, there are actually two slots being used. I want to run duel video cards, such as with the 8800, but also want to add a Physics card (still considering if this is worth it, may not do so), a sound card, and/or a wireless network card. I know that there will be issues with space, but how many free slots will there be if I use two video cards? I would maybe need two extra slots, if I do decide to go with a physics card. :nerd:

first, giving the mb model number would be great, also considering the physics card, DONT get it. Its not worth the money for the extra "flying" parts and most games dont really need it. The Geforce 8800 by its self takes up two slot's space and depending on the mb, you might not be able to fit two video cards.

Actually, I want the physics card for the upcoming unreal, but besides that, I would like a high end sound card, such as an Audigy, and a high end network card, such as the new Killer network card. I know I can't fit all of these cards onto the mobo, but I wanted to know how many I can fit w/ 2 vid cards.

Video cards require a PCI-E 16 slot while the other cards you have stated are either PCI or just PCI-E 4 or something.

SLi 8800GTX will actually eliminate the need for a physics card once DX10 is released due to new technology. Don't get one. Also don't ask me how that works becuase I don't know lol i've just heard it.

and a high end network card, such as the new Killer network card

dude i am not poking fun at all...but seriously.
the killer card looks great on paper(like the ads for it). it looks great in person. but in actuality, a 25.00 lynksys ethernet card from wal-mart works uh, pretty much the same. the Killer NIC folks give some hooha about "it frees up your cpu" or some crap so you get better framerates and latency while online gaming. supposedly, how it does that is by bypassing the windows network to let your game info travel faster.
so, even if it does work, and it probably does to a degree...we're talking like 2-5ms. and if you game online, you know there really is no difference between a 20 ping and a 25.
as far as i know the only way to "fix" your latency (ping if you will) is to either get a better/more stable broadband connection or move closer to the server of your choice. trust me. i have tried everything known to man to improve ping times. except the Killer Kard, lol...
but, in any event, an NIC...no matter what it costs...is not going to do it.
you probably have more luck fine tuning your system...so everything works in unison (ie nothing is waiting on anything else).

The new 8 series of videocards take care of physics processing by themselves:
NVIDIA Quantum physics processor revealed | NordicHardware
X-bit labs - Articles - Directly Unified: Nvidia GeForce 8800 Architecture Review

There is no need for a PhysX card when using an 8 series card.

It would be a better idea for games not to use wireless and use the integrated NIC's in the board since you can then take advantage of Nvidia's FirstPacket Technology:
Features & Benefits

Then you should have room for a sound card in one of the PCI slots.

Ha! Thanks for the help you guys. i guess it is easy to get caught up in the hype of some products. i am going to hold off on the ppu for now... I do wanna go for duel 8800's, but am gonna just use the built in network on the striker, and i hear the sound riser on the striker is also kinda good for basic use. I only have 2.1 speakers from my old pc I was gonna recycle any how. then i'll upgrade to somthin nice, like some audigy. I'm just gonna focus on high end cpu and gpu for now. BTW, I hope games like unreal don't require a ppu to have the physics effects like GRAW did, or who knows, a ppu might be in the future for me.

If you are going SLI Right off the bat or plan to have SLI of the best cards in very short time then get an EVGA 680i...not the striker as like you said it's just hype.

I don't like SLI except for when you are buying say two of the best cards at one time, if you plan to add another one like 3-4 months later then SLI is just not worth it really...and there are many many reasons why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom