2 Router setup...possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
I have a situation here. I have a DLINK DI-614+ Wireless Router currently. It operates on a 2.4GHz frequency, channel 1, some modified settings so that it runs 4 networked PC's at most, normally 2, and connects 2 DS Lite's and a Wii periodically. It works fantastic all the time, 24.7 connection, never any issues ever. I added an Xbox 360 to the mix and got Xbox Live Gold, and my router can't support it basically. Not due to traffic, just due to connection for some reason. The router just sucks for xbox live period.

So I'm looking at alternatives. I know for a fact I need a new router if I want to play Xbox Live. So here's my question. Can I run 2 wireless routers in succession with each other? Or would interference be a huge issue? I don't want to run a new router single handed, because I'd have to get new adapters for all the PC's etc. and it would cost more than I want right now really.

So could I do this you networking gurus?

Run my cable modem to my new linksys router (#1 in the line). There the Xbox would connect to it for a network connection. Then have the second older router, the dlink di-614+ (#2 in the line) connected to the new router and just run as an AP for all of our PC's and Wii etc.

So modem -> 1 router (xbox on wireless) -> 2 router (everything else wireless)

Would this even be possible? Can I get a new router with a G network and still run the B network router in succession after it? I might have to ask my network admins at work tomorrow if I don't get good feedback here. But you guys have never let me down here hehe. Have at it! Please let me know!

Thanks anyone who responds with info!

Yes, you should be able to.... I believe it would be best for each router to operate on a different channel, and use a different SSID (thats the way I would do it anyway). Also, make sure that to connect the 2 routers, you use a cable from LAN port to LAN port. You will no longer use the WAN port on the D-Link. You will also want to DISABLE DHCP on the D-Link.

But the DLINK will need DHCP enabled still to broadcast it's signal to the wireless PC's and DS/Wii won't it? I should disable DHCP on the new router shouldn't I? It will only have one connection, so a static assigned xbox address?

Yeah LAN port to LAN port and a different channel like 11, farthest away. Hmm...if this works that'd be super great. Then when we move I can just take my new router with me and put the line back to how it used to be and it will be perfect like it was...nice...

I'll just buy the router. We need one anyways. What's a good router you recommend anyone? Besides DLINK. I get mixed reviews on linksys and netgear. Belkin I hear is meh, mediocre at best.

You don't HAVE to have DHCP enabled on the D-Link. When you disable it, the D-Link essentially becomes a wireless access point. The wireless hosts will associate with the D-Link, and will be assigned addresses via the gateway router. You will have to make sure that the Gateway router and the D-Link you have now have IP addresses in the same subnet.

As far as recommended brands, everyone has their preference. DLink is my personal Fav, with Belkin & Linksys being on my no-no list... I had 1 belkin router, and it was a piece of garbage, returned it for a new one, had same issues, called tech support, and I knew more about the hardware than they did. I personally haven't had a Linksys, but have many friends & family with them, and constant network troubles. Current DLink network is flawless, except my girl is frustrated that when she closes her laptop for a few minutes, and re-opens it, she has to wait for internet to reconnect... :rolls eyes:

Linksys hasn't been that good for me. Netgear has worked the best for me lately. *shrugs* to each their own. BUT, instead of two routers, what about just running a cable from your one router to a standard wireless access point. Probably be just as cheap.

But...the traffic would be stemming from the old router still, so wouldn't it still be getting ab address and conflict from that router? or does the AP function as it's own new signal for the box to connect to?

But...the traffic would be stemming from the old router still, so wouldn't it still be getting ab address and conflict from that router? or does the AP function as it's own new signal for the box to connect to?

I am not quite shure what you are saying here.....

I don't even remember lol.

Well I got a linksys router this afternoon. Have just been messing with it and can't get them to work in tandem yet.

I tried plugging the linksys router's LAN port to a 1-4 lan slot on the dlink router and no success. I couldn't manage the router through the browser. So I put the linksys router first and then ran the dlink from it and could manage the linksys, but not the dlink then. Oh and the net didnt work either.

Soooo I disabled DHCP on one and tried it, reversed it, no luck.

Sooo now I dunno what to do. I thought it would be able to pick up and manage the settings through the dlinks internet access, if I just plugged the linksys router behind it in line. BUT it won't do that. Sucks...now I may just have to get all new adapters for this linksys router...sucks.

Any ideas anybody?

As I mentioned earlier, you will have to make sure that BOTH routers have IP addresses in the same subnet. Since you haven't made mention of IP's yet, I will guess they are both still defaulted. You will want to pick an IP address block to use, either the Linksys or the D-Link default will be fine, but you have to pick one or the other.

Linksys typically will use a 192.168.1.1 IP address with 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.
D-Link typically will use a 192.168.0.1 IP address with 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

Just to make things easy, I would recommend this.... Connect a SINGLE host WIRED to the D-Link. Login to the config page, and make the Router's IP address 192.168.1.2 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0. You will also want to DISABLE DHCP on the D-Link router.

If that STILL doesn't do the trick, it could be that you will need a cross over cable between the two. I doubt this though, because more new(er) switches & routers come with a feature called MDI MDI-X. This feature auto-detects the cable type, so that if you need a cross-over, but are using a straight through, the hardware will correct it so that the crossover can be used.

The thing is, I can;t manage the linksys one to give it an IP. Yes the DLINK is at 192.168.0.1 and the linksys is defaulted at 192.168.1.1

I can't manage the linksys one yet though, still unable too no matter what or how plugged up so until that's figured out I can't set them up to run together. I made a crossover cable myself also and it did nothing just like the ethernet cable did as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom