Graphics card issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkilbride

Baseband Member
Alright! So I upgraded my rig about a year and a half ago, and I've had nooo issues pretty much(The graphic card is from 2004 though.

My GPU is not over-clocked also.

-----------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/27/2007, 05:11:31
Machine name: UNIMATRIX007
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050928-1517)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: 939M2
System Model: 939Dual-SATA2
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 371MB used, 2088MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6800
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0041&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (65Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/22/2006 12:22:00, 4527488 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 10/22/2006 12:22:00, 3994624 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4301-11CF-2B47-0A2000C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0041
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5455&SUBSYS_08501849&REV_20
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5950 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 10/26/2005 08:08:00, 3786944 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 192000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 26, 25
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 26, 25
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAXâ„¢ 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2â„¢ Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensauraâ„¢ ZoomFXâ„¢: No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: All tests were successful.

I even uninstalled my drivers, used driver cleaner, and reinstalled the latest (93.71) I even tried the beta drivers, no go.

Here's the issue.

I just tried Chronicles of Rid****: Escape from Butcher Bay

And

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Now my issues are:

Both game's lock up and freeze on me when I try to go in-game, sometimes I can't even get to the menu on Chronicles of Riddck...before it crash's.

Recently, it's been giving me a BSOD saying nv4_disp.dll or something was whacked out.

But games such as Jedi Academy and Half-Life 2, and Starwars: Republic Commando work fine, with no issues at all.

Jedi Academy aside, Hl2 and Republic commando are decently hardware intensive games, such as CoR or POP:T2T. I tried patch's for those games and no go.

My Hard drive is also defrag'd(Daily)

So I'm wondering what my issue is? Thanks.

Well nv4_dsp.ll is an error directly related to your video card, so that pretty much narrows it down...

You mentioned you've already tried uninstalling your video card drivers and re-installing them. Have you tried running Windows Updates? Also, you mentioned you've tried patching the games up. I would recommend monitoring the temperature of your GPU (video card), making sure its not overheating, even though I doubt it is. If the problem persists, try re-installing Windows. You mentioned you defrag your hard drive daily, which is a bit of overkill, but if the problem keeps happening, just perform a clean install of Windows. Particularly because perhaps a virus or spyware has clinged itself to the .dll file your reffering too, since viruses are known to do that.

Well . . . my other games WERE workign correctly, but now I get this

thisisitcb4.jpg

A fresh install of windows, eh? I was meaning to do that...but I didn't want to do it so soon.

See, this happens in POP:T2T and CoR and now Republic Commando(It didn't before...oh no, something has happened!)

Windows Updates provides nothing. My GPU temp is an average of 55 while in games, which 135 is the dangerous temp zone it says, I think

My CPU is over-clocked and that has improoved performance on all games. It's a stable boot, I ran Orthos on Small and high FTT's for many 10 hours, and Prime95 on small and high FTT's for 18 hours. Not a single error. Came back as a stable boot, and temps rose to 46-52 max(out 60 dangerous) on my CPU.

I did over-clock my GFX card about a week ago, to settings specified on a OC thing, that said it was the best you could for performance and stability, but I returned it to normal after I had a crash in one of my games, and everything ran fine after that.

But recently ~ this has happened. A format is such a pain, as I'm sure you guys know :p

Thanks.

Hmm, that picture "disturbs" me. Heh. That is known as artifacting and is not a good sign. It usually indicates a faulty video card.

Reformatting isn't a bad thing, I consider it a life saver. I mean think about it, you're getting rid of all the crap that has built up for 2+ years.

2+ years? your joking. I've formated about 6 times since two years ago, I just always hate doing it.

I know about artifacts, but hmm. I actually was able to get in and play Republic Commando, but the video is all screwed the **** up.(Like in game cinimatics are jumpy and such. I just did recently install a new K-Lite codec pack for encoding DVD's, but it was a flawless uninstall and new install of the old one...so I don't know if that's it? Hmm.

I really, and I mean truely, can't afford a new GFX card right now...did my 2-3 day OCing my video card with one error that I reset have THAT much of an effect? so far it's reported no errors in anything else ~

In-game play is fine, but video's and CGI n all that are buggy and I get artifacts n it crash's, but that menu says otherwise. But the menu didn't artifact this time, everything went smoothly, cept for the intro video's.

Half-Life 2 with no CGI or video's in general works fine with no crash's...hmm...!

1600 x 1200, I run all my games at 1024 x 768.

I'm not over-coming them at all.

Reseating it? Hmm, worth a shot, I suppose . I also heard that if I loosen up my memory timings, that might help? Whatcha think? It has to do with RAM, but I read on another board, memory timings cause

FROM ANOTHER POSTER ON ANOTHER FORUMS: Well, I linked + synced my memory, which is now at a rather feeble 533 MHz, with 4-4-4-1T timings autodetected, with mem at 2.2 V. I'm not used to these lower frequencies, so I can't say whether these timings are decent for 1T or not (can anyone fill me in on this?). But the big thing here is my NV4 BSODs have disappeared. As previously posted, I used to get the things right when windows starts up, but now I can play my usual games for hours without problems (HL2, Doom3, FEAR...) And I can even check my email! Impressive. So, draw your own conclusions.

Hmm, if it's ram, I also can't spare the cash, and it's the card, I TRUELY can't spend the cash, I'd have to go without my games for many months V_V

It has nothing to do with your RAM. The reason why is because your getting a screwed up display. PLUS, that nv4_disp.dll is directly related to your video card. I have a feeling your card has died on you. For whatever reason, i'm not sure. But don't forget to try reseating it.

Just tried reseting it. no go. Cmon, HL2 is more hardware and graphically intensive than Republic Commando and HL2 works just dandy, no mess ups. Same with Jedi Academy...

EDIT: I'm going to roll back to some older drivers. I heeard all 85.XX + drivers have alot of issues with open GL. I'ma test this out and report back. I heard it can fix this problem from a few other problems.

DOES THE FREAKING DINKIN HAPPY DANCE OF HAPPY! BAM! THE NEW DRIVERS WORK PERFECTLY! NO ARTIFACTS or anything. Seems to be a problem with these newer drivers. Oh sa-wheet, I thought rolling back to such old drivers wouldn't help, but I lied to myself, and what do ya know! BAM! all is well...tazaah!

Damnit, Republic Commmando works fine, that's for sure, no more artifacts.

Prince of Persia loads now, but whenever it hits a movie, like CG / FMV, it has artifacts and crash's, if I remove the video's, I can play the game just fine and dandy.

So...I think we've identified this isn't a GFX card issue and maybe something with drivers / codecs? I switched out to 78.01, the drivers it reccomends. My FPS also went up in all my games since I reverted / used driver cleaner. So that's a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom