dream pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated if you want to Overclock your C2D then the 680i board is hard for it as it has nasty FSB holes in there you have to figure out.

Think of SLI this way for me though. Ok so you figure SLI will save you money in the long run right? Ok well

To have SLI 8800GTX....

You need to spend about $80 more than what you need for a single card on a case to handle the heat these two monsters would give off. Alright so instead of getting something like a 60-70 case thats still really good you now need like 130-140. Not needed but highly recommended so they don't overheat.

Then you need a SLI compatible board. Currently the only one thats a good choice for High-end sli is the 680i. You are going to spend $250 on a board that overclocks worse, and has more FSB holes and overall bugs than a $115 board. So your out another $135 bucks for SLI.

Now the PSU. A Single 8800GTX is handled easily by a $40 PSU but for the sake of upgrades you would get a good 500w for around say 65-70 bucks.

With SLI an 90 PSU can do it but you would have very limited amps left over for anything. The recommended for those are around $120+

Your spending probably around 60 bucks or so for a PSU that will have enough amps to go SLI. Now finally after you have blown your money on SLI and you've gamed for a while and your card say went down in price to 400 bucks which is what I'm guessing they will be by the time the 8950GX2 comes out. You will add these cards and have them running in SLI only to beat by a single 8950GX2....while giving off more heat and using more watts than the single card.

This is just my thoughts on SLI...I don't like it and I hate the 680i boards >.<

If you plan to run duel sli some day your going to need a bigger psu. 500-650 is fine for one but two needs atleast 750w to run right. Go to nvidia.com in the sli info they give a list on psu, mb, memory. Its a really help site if your planing on going with sli. Also xbitlabs.com has a lot of good info for system builders. Just my 2 cents worth i know some will disagree but you need to listen to everyone and do a lot of research then buy what makes YOU HAPPY!

I STILL cannot understand how in the fruitloops can you have two 8800GTX's in SLI and still keep them cool?! Doesn't one block the intake fan of the other?

*Edit: Legit Reviews - Dream Machine: Kentsfield + 8800GTX SLI + 680i SLI - Building A Dream Machine
They aren't that close together, but I still think that it would be next to impossble to keep them cool. ...and if you take a look at the picture, where are you going to put any add-in card like a sound card?

AS for the psu here a quote from the above article

Using the NVIDIA Forceware 96.97 drivers on the pair of XFX GeForce 8800 GTX's was an awesome experience and I can't wait for improved drivers to come out and improve performance even more. The test system would run the opening scene from the first game test in 3DMark06 at over 112FPS, which is something you got to see to believe! When it came to power consumption with out system overclocked and running gaming benchmarks we saw the system peak above 600W just once, so the 750W power supply requirement is no joke.

that has to be wrong becausei know a guy in my cet class is running two gtx's with an antec true power 550watt just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom