New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I am sorry you are right. quote That will not happen. We reccomend products from reviewer websites, other peoples experience with that said you need to update yourself with the needs of 8800. I beleve it takes over a 100 watts to power one card.

The corsair 650 really, show me were a 650 will power 2 8800 cards i would like to see it. And if some is they will have problems maybe not now but it will happen. The 650 could not keep the whole system running.

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts! here is just one example of what kind of power newer systems need. The 650 would power a single 8800 just fine but if i ever want to upgrade to 2 8800s then i would also have to upgrade my power supply. Also if you dont beleve me yet i can get you tons of articles from maximumpc, cpu, computer shopper all saying a 650 will not power 2 8800.

And yes helping and giving advice is what forums are all about well that is if you know what your talking about.

I will 100% guarantee you, that the 620 Watt Corsair Will power your rig with some room for upgrades.

Sora, man, where are you? This is what you live for. :p

Bah, maybe Ill link you to this thread.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/power-supplies-125763/

Now, I know, the system in that thread is not the same as yours but if you read the entire thread you will see how much (or how little one 8800 and and entire system uses.)

I will have to say thats good reading But my build is going to be alot differant.
While it was good reading I dont think theres enough info to draw those conclusions. I hope to find more info or some differant test on this subject. In the mean time i will stand by my guns and say a 650 is to small for 2 8800s

I will have to say thats good reading But my build is going to be alot differant.
While it was good reading I dont think theres enough info to draw those conclusions. I hope to find more info or some differant test on this subject. In the mean time i will stand by my guns and say a 650 is to small for 2 8800s

Its 620 Watts, not 650....

I encourage you to buy a kilowatt Power meter and measure the usage yourself.

I am not for sure but I think there might be a differance from input to output. Ok you showed me one account that says you can how about the countless web sites, articles, and forums that says you cant. Did you even look at the psu calc. Nvidia enem says that for duel 8800 you need atleast a 750. But he maybe some guy with a watt meter know more then all those engineers working for nvidia and ati. I am not saying that i am right I am just saying i base my decisions on all the info i can find. So please find me more info and help change my mind.

Change your mind?

You said you already ordered these parts.

Look, just get a Kilowatt Power meter and measure it for yourself.

There are plently of people across many forums with power supplies at or slightly below/above 620 watts power similar rigs to yours.

Look around, you will find them.

It doesn't bother me if you don't believe it.
I know it will work fine..

All right lets break this down for you. Todays video cards are pretty much small computers they even have power inputs. Because of that they need alot of power. Now you look at the quad core and that takes alot of power.
When you add it all up a 620 will not work. Not in the real world. It might if i dont have dvd player, extra fans, usb stuff. See with all the things besides vc you need alot of power. I could setup a mb cpu and vc turn eevrything off and make a 400 watt work but is that practical. NO. Oh and btw computer shopper must be wrong too because in the march issue on page 20 they reviewed a pc club machine and one of the cons is a 600 watt is not a big enough power supply. But hey what do they know they have only been reviewing computers and componets for like 20 years. Also in that same issue is build a budget gaming rig they talk about psu. Its good reading check it out.

Oh and btw you are right the toughpower is over priced but like i said the price was right plus the end of next week i have a cooler master stacker and pro 850 coming. But if some one is looking into the 850s the cooler master is cheaper and might even be a little nicer from what i have read thats the way it sounds.

Well heres one instance of a the cards running on non recommended power supplies. I realize that its not "620w," but its still helps to prove a point. I know I've seen an article where they ran them on a 400w fortron source, but I can't find it. Regardless, the TT power supply is good. Could you have gotten a slightly better one for less money? sure, but who really cares?

Great system non the less. The quad core CPU will never be worth it unless your into 3d design. I would have opted for the X6800, which outdoes it in almost every benchmark.

"Our 8800 GTX SLI worked with 700W OCZ GameXstream PSU so we can recommend this one."

Leadtek, EVGA Geforce 8800 GTX tested, even in SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom