kfinchie

Baseband Member
Hi I am building a new server here are the specs I do have:

2 X Intel Xeon Dual-Core 5160 3.0GHz
Intel SE7320VP2D2 Dual Xeon/DDR2 Server Motherboard
2 X Kingston 2GB ECC/REG Memory
Intel SR2500NA 750W PFC 2U Rackmount Server Chassis
Adaptec 2410SA Serial ATA RAID 4-Port

One thing you might notice is that there is no hard drives. Here is my question. What brand of hard drive should I use, I usually prefer Western Digital for all my hard drive need, but then I usually only use AMD, so I am open to suggestions. The hard drives need to be 500gb and they will be configured in a RAID 5 if that helps you in answering my question.

Well if this is a true server build and you have the money, then I would suggest looking into a SCSI RAID Setup. SCSI Drives are specifically designed for severs. They usually last longer because of that.

If you don't want to deal with SCSI then Seagate is the way to go for SATA Drives.
Mainly for technical support and long warranties.

Are you intersted in RAID for back ups?

What will this server be doing?

No I am not looking for a RAID back up we just using a External hard drive to back up. I am not familiar with a RAID back up if you could inform me and maybe I might consider it. We are also looking to have About 1.5TB of storage and be hot swappable. Will 4 500gb HDD do this configured in a RAID 5?

But this is server is going to replace 3 servers. I work for a company that does Commercial Collections, This server will host the program Net Collect. This will be the main function as well as a file/print/fax. The only server it won't be replacing is our exchange server.

Also if I go SCSI what brand would you recommend?

I am also looking at my vendors site and the biggest SCSI Drive they have is only 300GB is there a reason why there so small. Unless I can find a 500gb I am leaning towards a SATA.

SATA drives should be fine for your server. 4 500gb in raid 5 will give you 1.5tb. you need at least 3 drives for raid 5 and the total storage is 75% of the total of all of the drives. I would recommend western digital hd's.

No I am not looking for a RAID back up we just using a External hard drive to back up. I am not familiar with a RAID back up if you could inform me and maybe I might consider it. We are also looking to have About 1.5TB of storage and be hot swappable. Will 4 500gb HDD do this configured in a RAID 5?

sure will.

Also if I go SCSI what brand would you recommend?

check out the Seagate Barracuda or Cheetah series, unfortunately WD have forced your hand here as they appear to have discontinued their SCSI lines.

as for SATA, in what you're looking at check out the WD Caviar RE and Seagate NL series. these days SATA can pretty much use the most useful features of SCSI anyway, with ample bandwidth.

Hes right the seagate ns drives are built for 24/7 use. I am a seagate solution provider and have sold tons ns drives and can count the rma's i have done on 1 hand. The 500 i sell the most of is st3500630ns. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom