Burning dvd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXguy741

Solid State Member
Right now I have a CD Rom in my first drive and Im adding a 8x Dual format DVD-R +R drive tomorow. Will it be possible to take a movie say "zoolander" Put it in the dvd R and rip it to my hard drive then from their burn it a blank DVD.

One more qusetion what is DVD ram used for???

yeah you can totally do that - usually whatever program you use will have a rip feature, if not just download one

Try DVDSHRINK. It's free and it's good, It needs NERO to burn it on the DVD but will allow backup of copyrighted cd (Same as DVDX Copy from 321 studios before the court ruling. As to DVD RAM, it is just another DVD format. A DVD RAM may be used as a portable HDD (same as a formatted CD-RW) and is very useful but again, not all DVD recognize them.

I totally agree DVDshrink is free software and that's all you need. dvd-ram died out, it was never meant to be probably because the storage was low and it was too slow

I'm a third for DVD Shrink. For the price (free haha) it is the best software out there...it works great.

I've also used Roxio (with absolutely no success for DVDs), and I've used Nero (with DVD Shrink obviously). I've used the Intervideo DVD Burner too, which you can download a trial version that lasts for 5 days off of www.download.com

DVDRam is mainly used for storing information and is similar to a hard drive, in other words a file can be put anywhere that there is an empty space, or spread over a disk...they are not 'linear' like a normal DVD -/+ disk.

DVDRam disks can also hold more than 4.7gig of data (9.4 gig is max I think).

They have a rewrite life of over 100,000 rewrites (far more than any other DVD RW format).

They have a 'working life' of 30 years.

They are designed more for data but are very good at video, with the other formats being designed more for video but good at data, but not if the data changes.

Like HD's they do not need 'lead ins' and lead outs or 'finalizing'.

They are bootable.

DVD-Recorders (the standalone TV ones) sometimes use DVDRam as their media. So if you have a RAM standalone you can save some headaches if you can play the media in your DVDWiter to transfer to the HD for editing.

DVDRam is not a 'dead' format' a lot of the LG range ofDVDWriters are triple format (+, - and DVDRAM). Its just that the other formats (and lets be HONEST) are good at making playable DVD-Video disks that play on standalones.

From the above it might sound like I'm a DVDRam fan, well I dont ever use it as I am to busy 'backing up' 'files' to the other DVD formats (via DVDShrink) to be bothered about it..........

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom