Processor Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaedo5

Beta member
This may sound like a stupid question, but what happened to processor speeds?

Why aren't we seeing more of a push towards 3GHz or 4GHz processors with new computers. Everything seems mostly between 2 and 3. Apple Mac Pros top out at 3 GHz. Dell is similar. Are these new Core Duos so much better that 2.33 GHz is ten times better than the same speed two years ago?

I know it's a vague question, and no one may want to deal with answering it. But everything I find online is an article from 2000 or something. I can't get a up to date explanation.

Thanks.

This may sound like a stupid question, but what happened to processor speeds?

Why aren't we seeing more of a push towards 3GHz or 4GHz processors with new computers. Everything seems mostly between 2 and 3. Apple Mac Pros top out at 3 GHz. Dell is similar. Are these new Core Duos so much better that 2.33 GHz is ten times better than the same speed two years ago?

I know it's a vague question, and no one may want to deal with answering it. But everything I find online is an article from 2000 or something. I can't get a up to date explanation.

Thanks.
processors are improving in the amount of instructions they can process per clock cycle.

Say you have always owned a semi automatic pistol, which was nice, but today you went out and bought a shotgun. You would kill crows with the pistol, but it wasnt very fast, because you had to kill them one at a time, but now with the shotgun, you can kill about 3 or 4 at a time. You are using less ammunition, but are killing more crows.

That is why the Conroe's use up less ammunition... er, megahertz in order to do the same amount of work.

Say you have always owned a semi automatic pistol, which was nice, but today you went out and bought a shotgun. You would kill crows with the pistol, but it wasnt very fast, because you had to kill them one at a time, but now with the shotgun, you can kill about 3 or 4 at a time. You are using less ammunition, but are killing more crows.

That is why the Conroe's use up less ammunition... er, megahertz in order to do the same amount of work.
i had a very messy representation in my mind from reading this :)

YEAH. crows suck.

Clock speed is like horsepower...

If you can't get torque to the wheels, you're just blowing smoke. They're just putting the same size engines in lighter cars with better transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom