New Psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodieman

In Runtime
Hello to all.

I am currently looking for a new PSU and wow there are many. My wife says $200 max that I am aloud to spend. So here we go. Thanks for the help..

Currently I am running the following on a crap $55 550 watt sunday specail PSU. In the past week all my fans started to dim in and out so I knew the crap PSU was to blame. I know I should have bought a good one.

specs

intel P4 Socket 478 3.0Ghz @ 3.4 With HT
ASUS P4P800 SE Motherboard
2 Gigs ddr 400 1x 1gig 2x 512mb
XFX 7600 GT AGP Stock settings
SB Audigy 4 with front panel
one NIC card
Maxtor 80 gig SATA 2
CDRW Drive
DVD drive
Floppy

Fans

5x 4 led 80mm case fans
1x 4 led 120 mm fan
1x zalman CPU Fan
1x zalman GPU Fan
2x Zalman fanmate 2
1x motherboard chipset fan

USB
1x microsoft crap optical
1x logitech wireless combo set
1x logitech attack 3 joystick
1x microsoft game pad

and thats it...

Lots of CRAP

Anyways I have a few PSU's in mind that I think will serve my current PC and my new one coming up in the winter months...

here are the links.

Thermaltake 750
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.

Corsair HX Series 620 ? ? ? ? ? ? 10 power connectors OMG
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.

OCZ GameXStream 700

I think that is it... you guys decide I am leaning towards the OCZ but I really dont know.

Thanks guys

Lol, 500 Watts Max.

****, you could get away with a 450 Watt Fortron. The Hiper 580 Watt would also be a good choice

Anything between 450 and 550 (Or 600) Watts will be more than enough.
Just stick to the brands in my power supply guide linked in my Signature.

if I may ask why are my fan lights dimming / fans slowing down.. the noise is noticable aswell when I load heavy things IE games. large files. etc etc. mostly during game play.

Probably because the power supply your using is unable to sustain a heavy load for long periods of time. And thats because its cheap... (Components of it are cheap)

Edit:

I Think the Hiper 580 watt Power supply is the best choice for the price. If you want to do upgrades or reuse the power supply in the future a few years down the road then get the OCZ or Corsair you already Linked.

what is this corsiar 620 WATT TRIPLE POWER mean? Is that a good thing

in your opinion what one is better the OCZ or the corsair

I thought corsiar was a good memory maker not a PSU

1.what is this corsiar 620 WATT TRIPLE POWER mean? Is that a good thing

2.in your opinion what one is better the OCZ or the corsair

3.I thought corsiar was a good memory maker not a PSU

1. They are refering to the three 12 Volt rails.
2. Corsair
3. Corsair memory doesn't actually make their own power supplies. Corsair power supplies are mainly rebadged Seasonic ones. And another manufacture makes seasonic power supplies.

As with many other computer components, The end name brand of many products is not the actual OEM manufacturer. Meaning a certain company makes the product, another company buys the product, and rebadges/renames them. Adding fancy colors, siding and what not.

Theres a good list of PSU manufactures @ Jhonny Gurus website if your interested. It has many of the manufactures and what brands rebadge them..

I would go with the Hiper 580 Watt PSU myself... I did a lot of research on it before I purchased it and it has been the best PSU I've ever owned... It has a good price of under 100 bucks USD and being 580 it should last you for a good while for future upgrades....

if I may ask why are my fan lights dimming / fans slowing down.. the noise is noticable aswell when I load heavy things IE games. large files. etc etc. mostly during game play.
because the power supply cannot actually supply 550W for a sustained amount of time. 550W would be its peak output, which it can do if it has to, but not for sustained amounts of time.

A good quality power supply will be able to output all of its rated output stably, and even more if it has to.

I have a Hiper 580W Type-R, and I would definitely recommend it.

*edit*
for the record, my Hiper PSU is powering:

8800 GTS 320MB
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ at 2.8GHZ, 1.5V
2GB RAM
3 x 120mm fans
water cooling (Swiftech MCP655 pump, high powered)
108MB/S wireless card
X-Fi Xtrememusic
2 x Seagate hard drives (200GB IDE, 320GB SATA)
1 x DVD burner

Thirded on the Hiper 580w Type-R

It may not have the support of the most extreme PSU enthusiats but it still is accepted if chosen.

It has the best Modular system out there I think, comes in different steezy colors, not that much, plenty of watts.

The Amps however are a bit low but they are good stable 12v rails and are plenty enough for any single GPU solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom