Whats wrong with my friends Hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok my friend got a new hp computer with a nvidia 7500 le, amd 4600+ and 2gb of generic ram on an asus oem board and a 250gb hard drive. It all started when his computer got infected and had to reinstall windows. It turns out there was no cd's with the computer and only a repair wizard for windows. He instead used one of my cracked windows professional cds instead of a windows media center edition cd with the key on the case. It took us 3 weeks to get the drivers for the onboard ethernet because for some odd reason the chipset is only compatible with media center drivers otherwise, it doesnt work. We then installed a legit version of windows media center edition the proper way with protection so it wouldnt happen again. He was playing counter-strike source when his whole computer would lock up but he could still talk on vent. This happened a couple of times only when playing counter-strike (its the only game he had available to play) from a range of a couple seconds to almost an hour. Finally it would go to boot to windows and say it cant find the drive or it would lock up posting. We then reinstalled again and all was fine until he ran counter-strike source and it did the same thing again. It cannot read the windows install on the hard drive but it doesnt lock up posting. My guesses were the nvidia drivers which caused similar problems with me but I could start to boot into windows and it would blue screen but I could 100% log in safe mode and fix the problem. I then figured it could be a hardware issue like maybe the generic ram or even the unheard of nvidia 7500 le gpu. Its probably not hardware related since its only in games but overheating I think wouldnt instantly kill windows. If you guys need more information just ask and I will get you what I can.

Ok my friend got a new hp computer with a nvidia 7500 le, amd 4600+ and 2gb of generic ram on an asus oem board and a 250gb hard drive. It all started when his computer got infected and had to reinstall windows. It turns out there was no cd's with the computer and only a repair wizard for windows. He instead used one of my cracked windows professional cds instead of a windows media center edition cd with the key on the case. It took us 3 weeks to get the drivers for the onboard ethernet because for some odd reason the chipset is only compatible with media center drivers otherwise, it doesnt work. We then installed a legit version of windows media center edition the proper way with protection so it wouldnt happen again. He was playing counter-strike source when his whole computer would lock up but he could still talk on vent. This happened a couple of times only when playing counter-strike (its the only game he had available to play) from a range of a couple seconds to almost an hour. Finally it would go to boot to windows and say it cant find the drive or it would lock up posting. We then reinstalled again and all was fine until he ran counter-strike source and it did the same thing again. It cannot read the windows install on the hard drive but it doesnt lock up posting. My guesses were the nvidia drivers which caused similar problems with me but I could start to boot into windows and it would blue screen but I could 100% log in safe mode and fix the problem. I then figured it could be a hardware issue like maybe the generic ram or even the unheard of nvidia 7500 le gpu. Its probably not hardware related since its only in games but overheating I think wouldnt instantly kill windows. If you guys need more information just ask and I will get you what I can.

#1: its an HP

i have 2 hps...they run fine.

Not wanting to assume to much...try avoiding anything not legitimate, games included.

My old HPs...something like 4-5 years old still run fine and are nice and dandy. I need to buy me some HP recovery discs too. The only knock on them being any brand, is the brands that don't give us the windows CDs/DVDs....full installs or just recovery versions.

Many times the branded pcs require a very specific version of an OS, it's all about product licensing. I buy a product, I know it's license, I abide by it. I know I'm weird.

EDIT: On a whim...not sure what all HP has on their sites for drivers and updates...but try your luck at some HP updates. You might find something useful.

And why not hit ups asus for a possible mb bios update? Might work...but I've only tried that with an ASUS laptop, and not an oem part.

I had a similar machine that I ran back to the store 4-5 weeks ago. why didn't you create the restore disc so he could keep his machine legit? hp has a folder on it's c drive where it keeps all of the drivers. you should have at least backed that up

EricB, he didnt want to use any of Hp's installs so I downloaded Windows Media Center Edition cd's so he can use his legit cd key. Well as it turns out it was his pc shutting down because of heat issues with his video card. A aftermarket cooler fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom