Choppy, stuttery gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have no knowledge of the parts it really is hard to put together a good computer without serious help. If he didn't mind getting a good bit lower quality parts and performance than it's fine as the pre-build do excellent wiring jobs and so on. I myself am 17 but I used my own money to get em so daddy couldn't complain hehe.

V-sync basically keeps your FPS at a constant frame rate really. Usually the FPS you get is limited by your monitor refresh rate. I don't think it has anything to do with his RAM however. Even if it is DDR2-677 value that makes no difference. one Cas lat isn't going to make games bog down like crazy.

If those are idle temps thats a bit scary. The 8 series cards are said to be fine in the 80's but if those are idle what would the load be >.<

Understand that those ram aren;'t supposed to run at 677mhz but rather 333mhz. really the run at 133mhz but after the I/O bus and then they are doubled again it's like someone said "quad pumped" to DDR2-677.

Also you say on a server...have you ever considered that the server lag could be causing you to get low frames rather than your system? Some of those private servers have problems all the times on FPS games like that.

I've been thinking about it because it comes and goes and I don't every really get it running Oblivion at highest. But I've heard a lot of people comment on my temps so I'm looking into getting cooling for my system before buying new RAM. Could you show me a site where it would scan all my system parts so you guys could recommend cooling stuff. I'll need a link for everything from fans to the heat sinks or whatever and arctic gel and all of that, I don't really know anything about that stuff.

Understand that even an 8800GTX has a hard time getting 50+ FPS in the "killing fields" of oblivion at res such as 1600x1200....Oblivion is still today one of the highest and demanding games out and will be for a while. As far as cooling goes it's tough to say..the just released a cooler finally for the 8800 cards as they use whole different system.

I'm not sure how well it cools though and it's expensive.

Newegg.com - Thermalright HR-03 Plus VGA Cooler - Retail

There it is though.

However...what type of Airflow do you have in your case? What case do you have I'm wondering.

EDIT: Here is what an OC'd 8800GTX does in the "killing fields" of oblivion

Matchless Muscle: Overclocked 8800s | Tom's Hardware

Lol For the most powerful card out right now...those frames are a joke for over a year old game. It's just amazing how demanding those fields in oblivion are man...

thats a good sign of lag on network and internet games, very high lat ram will do the same thing, like ram with more than a lat reading of 3. Also to make sure u place the correct voltage for ur ram cause by not doing so, it will adjust the ram speed slower to allow it run. enabling sli memory mode should automatically put the best the rams settings and voltage on its own. though with cheaper ram i dont know it if it would do so or not.

if u dont no much about cooling etc.. maybe u should read up a bit so u can save urself some money and install them ur self. also how many case fans have u got? my gtx runs at bout 67/68 idle so ur temps are very high and i would not rec. going over 75 so u need some serious cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom