building my first PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkn0wn199o

Solid State Member
im about to build my first ever PC so i was wondering if you guys/girls can let me know if i chose some good stuff......

case: Antec Performance One P180B

mobo:GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

memory: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

HDD: Maxtor 250GB Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Floppy:3.5" 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE

Combo drive: LITEON 52X32X52+16X SATA Combo Drive

Video card: BFG GeForce 7900 GS OC 256MB PCI Express

Monitor: Viewsonic VX1935wm-3-S 19" LCD Monitor

if you have any suggestions or anything let me know...thanks

ill help you out....

Case: looks good nice level of cooling
power supply unit: ????? this is very important if the psu fails because it is cheap or only just enough wattage then it could take out some other more expensive parts with it sometimes the whole pc can get fried
Mobo: at the moment core 2 duo is the way to go in terms of performance so I would personally get a - Abit AW9D-Max
Cpu: again intel - E6600
Memory: G-skill (2x1gb) If your going to overclock get the hz otherwise the value will do fine
HDD: Maxtor arent a company anymore they got bought out by seagate - two main manufacturers of hdd's now are seagate and western digital. A 320gb seagate barracuda 7200.10 it is the fastest highest capacity and has a 3-5year warranty
floppy: not needed unless it is for work reasons
Optical drive: sata drives just allow better cooling because of the cable size it doesn't have any benefits in terms of speed due to the limiations of having mechanical parts.
videocard: good choice but if you could scrounge a few bucks and buy a 320mb 8800gts you would be better off and future proof.
Monitor: That is my favourite monitor ever looks incredible on or off i have a VX2245 really has a wow factor.
Os: Windows xp media centre will give you the free upgrade to vista for when the bugs get fixed and is virtually the same as xp pro.

quite a few changes but I would say you did ok at choosing your first parts

Matt

Make sure the memory is compatible with the motherboard. Are you sure that motherboard uses DDR instead of DDR2?

Make sure the memory is compatible with the motherboard. Are you sure that motherboard uses DDR instead of DDR2?

that motherboard uses ddr2

make sure u use the analog cable first before you use dvi, it wont show anything under the dvi cable at first boot.... idk why

HDD: Maxtor arent a company anymore they got bought out by seagate - two main manufacturers of hdd's now are seagate and western digital. A 320gb seagate barracuda 7200.10 it is the fastest highest capacity and has a 3-5year warranty

Can you clarify this statement??

Highest Speed?
15k RPM Seagate Cheetah SCSI drive...... or 10k RPM Western Digital Raptor SATA
Highest Capacity?
Any of the 750 Gig drives win here... soon to be 1 TB drives (1000 Gig)

I THINK what you meant, is that the 320 Gig drive have the best Cost/Space ratio, at about $0.26 per Gig, where most of the other drives are in the $0.30+ per gig range.

ALL Seagate drives come with a 5 year warrenty. Perhaps OLDER drives came with 3 year warrenties, but anything you buy NEW today will come with 5 year.

As far as the built, it looks pretty good, but as menioned earlier, the Core2Duo is king of the crop.... I would have to guess that you are somewhat limited as far as budget goes, since you have picked one of the lower/median models of AM2 processors available.

What is the purpose of the PC? What will it be used for? I would guess that with that 7900, you will want it to do some pretty decent gaming. What is the TOTAL budget on this build.

mobo:GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

Brisbane isnt compatible with that board, its stated on Gigabytes website unless they've released a BIOS update i havent known about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom