endless restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
I'm trying to figure out what's up with my brother in law's computer....

He went to use it the other morning (it was on overnight) and it was constantly rebooting. It shows the MB logo screen, then gets to the boot selection screen (boot normally, safe mode(s), last known good configuration). Regardless of which choice you make, the Windows XP logo screen comes up for about 5 seconds, then the board beeps once and it reboots again.

Any suggestions before I try a Windows repair? Could it be hardware related? No changes have been made on that system (in hardware anyway) since last summer when I replaced the MB.

there isn't any need to do that if he doesn't have to. find the error code first

f8 just brings me to the boot device selection menu.

I checked through the bios and saw no option to disable auto reboot.

help me out Warez

it say something like

disable automatic restart on system failure

LOL, this morning my friend brought me his computer....and it's doing the same darn thing. He tried to install Zune software and his laptop crashed. Now it's the endless restarts.
I said screw this, I just went ahead and installed xp again. Luckily, he didn't have any important files on the laptop.
Anyways, I'm waiting for him to bring me his zune to try that again.

help me out Warez

it say something like

disable automatic restart on system failure

To specify what Windows does if the system stops unexpectedly
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open System in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs:
Write an event to the system log specifies that event information will be recorded in the system log.
Send an administrative alert specifies that your system administrator will be notified.
Automatically reboot specifies that Windows will automatically restart your computer.
Under Write Debugging Information, choose the type of information you want Windows to record when the system stops unexpectedly:
Small Memory Dump records the smallest amount of information that will help identify the problem. This option requires a paging file of at least 2 MB on the boot volume of your computer and specifies that Windows will create a new file each time the system stops unexpectedly. A history of these files is stored in the directory listed under Small Dump Directory.
Kernel Memory Dump records only kernel memory, which speeds up the process of recording information in a log when the system stops unexpectedly. Depending on the amount of RAM in your computer, you must have 50 MB to 800 MB available for the paging file on the boot volume. The file is stored in the directory listed under Dump File.
Complete Memory Dump records the entire contents of system memory when the system stops unexpectedly. If you choose this option you must have a paging file on the boot volume large enough to hold all of the physical RAM plus one megabyte (MB). The file is stored in the directory listed under Dump File.

To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

If changing this setting involves logging into windows, I'm SOL then.

I'm going to back up their documents and try a repair installation and see if I can get into Windows that way and go from there I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom