Monitor going into standby after adding ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominican2589

Baseband Member
I have a Dell 8300 which came with 256mb. That was too small for me and was making my computer slow. So i added 512mb to it to have 768mb. The two original rams are together in their banks and the two new rams are in their own banks. I put the newer rams in bank 1 and the older in bank 2.

Now for some reason, the monitor goes into standby mode while my computer is on. I can move the mouse or touch the keyboard and it does not come out of standby mode. The only way I can get it out is by shutting it down and restarting it. I noticed that it happens when I am watching a video. I think so far that that is the only time that it does that. I use windows media player. It has happened with videos on a website and local on the haddrive.

Now what can be going wrong? It has never done this until I added the new ram. One time that it did shut off, it came back on but in a kind of safe mode look and a box told me that a driver crashed and to restart. But I cannot find the solution. Can someone help me?

Check Power Supply and Check for overheating. Also Get memtest to check the new ram.
Also Try your old ram stick in slot A1 then the other old ram stick in B1.And the new ram in B1 and B2 ore the other way around may do also.

Well the new ram is actually from my other PC which I just to moved to this one so I do not think that the new ram is faulty.

How do i check for over heating and if I have enough power?

Well as long as you have 400W or more you should be ok unless its starting to die. And as for Heat after it shuts down reboot into bios and check under PC health and it will show you the temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom