Linux vista dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
I am thinking of dualbooting vista and linux, do you guys know any good free linux distros?

If I create a partition with partitionmagic and install ubuntu on that new partition will it autonatically put a menu to select which operatinng system to use on boot?

I am thinking of dualbooting vista and linux, do you guys know any good free linux distros?

try these guides

How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) | APC Magazine
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Linux is already installed) | APC Magazine
The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step | APC Magazine
A Vista vs. Linux Matchup - Part 2: Dual-booting Vista and Linux

I honestly would stick with XP for now because dual booting with vista at the present time is really uncharted at the present time. if you are going to do it two seperate HDDs would be best. Install windows on one linux on the other.

I'd reccomend using the Gparted Live CD for this you can find more info here:

GParted -- Welcome
GParted -- Documentation

as for distros:

Kubuntu
Kubuntu - The KDE Desktop

Mandriva
Mandriva One - Mandriva Linux

PCLinuxOS .92
FTP archive directory /pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/live-cd/english/preview/
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/live-cd/english/preview/

This is the distro I use and recommend, Why because it works right out of the box. No need to configure Everything, everything just works. It also comes as a 1 CD install that is a live CD that you can install later if you wish.

Mephis
MEPIS | an OS for the 21st Century

hope this Helps

Jake

do you guys know any good free linux distros?

Almost all Linux distros are free. You might check the sticky at the top of the page for some recomendations.

I would also suggest taking the distro chooser quiz. That at least gives you some place to start other than Ubuntu.

I dual boot ubuntu and vista with no issues
Grub doesnt care wether its xp or vista as mine still boots stating xp when its not anymore.

as far as i'm concerned there's only two distros that are really worth looking at these days. those are Debian and Ubuntu (a debian derivitave :p ). though there are other Debian based distros that are quite nice. i'm not particularly experienced in linux but i have been toying for quite some time and with a quite a few distros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom