Fast performance during game, slow after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazy_taco

In Runtime
When I exit out of counter-strike source, world of warcraft, or any other major 3d game, My cpu load sticks at 100%, even when nothing is running. I found a way to return it back to normal, but it requires me changing my resolution from 1400x900 to 1360x768, than back to 1400x900. It only seems to happen when I'm running anything in 1400x900, and if I could leave it at 1360x768 all the time, I would, but it just looks horrible on my monitor, and pretty much any other resolution does too. Basically, how can I remove this annoyance?

GPU- Nvidia Geforce 7600GS, 2 of them on SLI
CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3500+
OS- Windows XP MCE 05

Let me know if you need anything else about specs.

You can try cutting down on running processes using MSCONFIG.
Making your pagefile static.
Defragmenting.
Using disk Clean.
A registry cleaner such as Regseeker.

Make sure windows is up to date along with the game patch and direct X/video card driver.

Other than that, Im curious as to what process in task manager is eating so many cpu cycles. So maybe you can post screen shot of it after a game or just tell us.

Here they are.

Before I even start CSS:
44422719rr9.png

Running CS Source, but minimized.
33189979ty5.png

Playing cs source with about full settings at 1400x900 resolution.
64768662in6.png

After Source is closed.
73318809zh7.png

Have you tried to disable free ram to see if it's your problem. It seems that every time I run these programs I run into similar problems. It's easy to test it out.

Well I had the problem prior to downloading FreeRAM. It was a failed effort at fixing the problem.

What I just don't understand is that my CPU load is so low while the game is running, yet so incredibly high once I close the game.

Well I have sort of found a way to fix this problem. If I run my games in windowed mode, it takes care of the problem, but on the other hand I lose performance and obviously a chunk of visibility due to the smaller view area. Anyone have any ideas yet?

It's like the system isn't releasing the ram once the game is over. My last Build had this problem but not that severe. Have you typed msconfig at the run box to see if there is anything you can turn off at start up. What Virus scanner & firewall do you use. Are you using Norton or Zone alarm? The reason I ask is cause there memory hogs.

Well my startup always has a huge performance hit when everything is loading, but after a minute the CPU load drops back to about 5%. Right now, I'm using Avast! for antivirus and I don't use a firewall.

You have a lot of processes running. Try running a virus scan ( Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan ), as well as some anti-spyware scans.

Go through MSCONFIG and kill some of that stuff. I'm Folding, and have desktop widgets, and only have 46 (that includes Firefox and WindowBlinds).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom