DVI vs VGA on an LCD Moniter

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
I plan on combining my tv and pc in my room into one since my new LCD moniter is a 21" and my tv is only a 20. So i decided to buy a tv tuner for my computer, it taps into the VGA cable on the monitor. Newegg.com - ENCORE ENXTV VGA Interface New External TV Box - Retail
My question is, i have a DVI port on my moniter i can use, i know its suppose to be better, but is there a real noticeable difference? If so what is the real difference?

DVI is digital but honestly I haven't noticed any difference from VGA...but I'm sure they did it for a reason lol.

Nah, DVI and VGA are the same electrically. You can always convert back and forth with a dongle, and it doesn't make a difference.

Nah, DVI and VGA are the same electrically. You can always convert back and forth with a dongle, and it doesn't make a difference.

If they are both the same why have them?

I believe DVI is Digital, And VGA is Analog.

Is the picture THAT much better that i should buy a different TV tuner that is USB instead of this one that taps into the VGA cable, and this one DOESNT require that the pc be turned on, and from what ive herd, the USB tv tuners can produce crappy pictures and sound doesnt match up, but this one basically just adds tv inputs to your moniter, and has direct output to speakers so i think this one would be way better then a USB one, and i really dont care about recording TV.

Hello,

DVI and VGA aren't the same. By definition, DVI is digital, and VGA is analogue. But this isn't actually true because, unlike VGA, there are in fact different types of DVI. They are:
  • DVI-D - Digital signal only.
  • DVI-A - Analogue signal only.
  • DVI-I - Digital and analogue signals.
This is why on some graphics cards, you can use a DVI to VGA adapter to hook up an LCD TFT monitor to the DVI port of the graphics card, via a VGA cable. Although it's hooked up to the DVI port, the signal sent to the monitor would be analogue.

When I use use DVI (digital) with my LCD TFT monitor, I can notice the difference. If I look closely at the monitor, I can see that image is less fuzzy and has more clarity. This is because, since information for each pixel is sent via binary data, there's less interference.

For a better understanding of the types of DVI, and why it's better than VGA, check out this wikipedia article: Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spikoman69, the majority of scan converters (external boxes capable of converting video signals to allow output to a CRT or LCD monitor) out there only support VGA output anyway.

As for switching to a PCI or USB tuner, it wouldn't make a difference if you were to use a PCI TV Tuner / USB TV Tuner, have your monitor connected to your graphics card via DVI (digital), and watch TV using this method, because the input signal would still be analogue (unless you use a DVB TV Tuner - digital tuner).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom