Overclocking problems w/ my amd 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevermore

Baseband Member
I've hit kind of a snag w/ my overclocking. I was getting it faster by cranking the multiplier, i went (slowly) from 10.5 to 11.5, for a result of 2305 mhz. I cant just increase the external frequency or it increases the ram speed too. so, i tried turning the external frequency down and the multiplier up to 12, so that the ram was underclocked and the proc was running at 2320mhz core. this creates some system instability. any ideas on how to get past this? does it hurt to overclock your ram a few mhz? or am i pushing my processor already? I know heat isn't a problem, since I monitor it closely with MBM5.
Also, is it possible to damage your chip by overclocking it like this, even if it isn't overheating? when i first got up to 2305 i was pcmarking about a 3690, now its averaging about 3660. don't know if this means much, just curious about it though.

suggestions? thanks.

you will notice a larger increase in speed if you overclock the FSB of your chip, this will obviously only work if your RAM can take it.
As AndrewtheGreat said it may help to up your Vcore.

Yeah, i thought about upping the voltage, I just dont want to take that risk unprepared. i guess theres not much to it but increasing it slowly so not to overdo it? and no, i cant overclock the fsb becasue the ram is only ddr400, and the bus is already at 200. can i OC the ram a few mhz w/out any problems?

it depends totally on the RAM, if I were you I wouldnt up the vcore unless you find that programs are running slowly.

Its kingston value ram, pc 3200. think i could a few mhz? so, if I'm getting stability problems such as the system locking up or shutting down, I shouldn't up the vcore unless they're just running slow?

With that RAM you will only be able to push the FSB a few mhz.
What I meant was that you should only really up the vcore if you need the extra speed out of your cpu, you need to watch the temps if you do up it and only go up in small increments. The vcore should give you more stability probably but a lot more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom