blown PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
i made the mistake of flicking the switch on the back of my psu to 115v ( i live in the u.k so it should be on 230v) with the power cord plugged in.

I got this strange whurring noise so i think it must be blown.

There is a fuse in my psu ( i took the cover off) but it seems to be wired into the cicruit board. Is there anyway of fixing my psu or shall i get a new one?

Have you tried putting it back to the normal voltage for your area then turning it on.

If the power supply doesn't turn on, then try to RMA it first. Before shoping for a new one.

i did the same thing chief! Thought nothing of it whilst flicking the switch, only to be met by a blue flash. Powr supply was a gonner; happened when i was real skint too so it was a bit of a *****. Hopefully you aren't powering a beast of a system so the new one wont cost you too much.

; happened when i was real skint too so it was a bit of a *****. Hopefully you aren't powering a beast of a system so the new one wont cost you too much.

do you mean a new sytem wont cost much or a new PSU wont cost much?

i got that blue flash too

A new PSU, But if the fuse is just blown you can resolder one back in if you know how.

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization.

When your product is under warranty, you can contact the manufacturer of said product and explain the issue you are having and they will review your request and issue you an RMA number. They will tell you to put this number on the outside of the package as well as inside the package. This number will be their record to track your issue and review your product once they receive it. After they receive it they will do either of the follow 2 things.

1.) repair the product and ship it back to you.
2.) replace the product and ship it back to you.

*** IN most cases, You must pay for shipping to return the product to them. They in most case, pay the shipping to get it back to you.

It's pretty simple actually, it does take some time, but yeah. Use the warranty.

Trust me, I've got at least 20+ RMA's under my belt in various products.

Be careful when messing around inside a PSU, there are caps in there that can kill you if you touch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom