PSU for GTX Sli

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaerik00

Baseband Member
Im building a new system that should last me for years to come. I'm only getting 1 gtx for now, but I want to make sure I have the option to go sli in the future. I would get the OCZ GameXStream 600w if not for the blue LED, which I hate. Is there a way to disable the LED, or can you suggest another PSU for cheap?

By the time you will want SLI 8800GTX....the 8950GTX2 or something will just blow that away so SLI is very not worth it IMO. If you want it though..there are many other good PSU's that can handle SLI. It doesn't have to say "Gamestream" for it to be able too.

Here's a couple of my favorites

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE SST-ST56F ATX12V / EPS12V 560W Power Supply 90V ~ 264V (Auto Range) - Retail
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN ATX12V, V2.2/EPS12V, V2.91, 600W RoHS Quad. SLi Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB, CE, CSA, TUV, UL, FCC - Retail

EDIT: I forgot to say that those PSU's have enough power to handle SLI 8800GTX but you need 4 PCI-E connectors and those only have two. You will just have to use converters or something if you want SLI.

OR

You could pay craploads more for one that already has the connectors.

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ST75F ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply 115 - 240V - Retail

Man...I could get a good PSU for 65 bucks to run a single 8 series card...see all the work for SLI? Bah

^^i don't think those psu's will be enough except for the silverstone 750w and mushkin 580w. You will need a minimum of 64amps on the +12v for two gtx's. That mushkin one actually looks pretty good. You may think 580w is not enough but that thing has 4 +12v rails with 20amps each which is pretty good and would give you 16amps head room.

Also the OZC gameXstream 600w would be enough with a total of 72amps.

edit: oh yeah and keep in mind that you will need two molex 4-pin to 6-pin converters (the 8800gtx or psu should come with a couple each) for the extra two 6-pin connectors you will need.

edit edit: That mushkin is a modular psu. ok correct me if im wrong. I haven't used a modular psu before, but i read somewhere (i think anandtech but im not sure) that the modular psu's actually hinder power efficiency because of the resistance it creates with the plugs btw the psu and cables. Again correct me if im wrong those that have experience with testing the power output of modular psu's as ive never actually used one.

Also i checked...the evga 8800gtx (as im sure the others will too) come with two 4pin molex to 6pin connectors.

Modular Power supplies do increase resistence but not enough to be concerned about. And definitly not enough reason to avoid modular power supplies.

You need a minimum recommended is 500w and 38 amps on the rails for SLI 8800GTX. You don't necessarily double everything for SLI. Every one of those PSU's can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom