What Socket is this chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naerskine

In Runtime
I have an HP laptop sitting around and it has a AMD Turion chip. its 1.8 ghz and thats really all I know. I want to know what socket it is so I can find out if I can upgrade the CPU. thanks.

I think that is a socket 754. If it's a dual core processor, than it is socket S1.

Unless your laptop boasts upgradability, you probably won't be able to take the chip out. Most laptops generally have the chip built into the mobo to save space. I'm sure a simple google search will tell you.

Unless your laptop boasts upgradability, you probably won't be able to take the chip out. Most laptops generally have the chip built into the mobo to save space. I'm sure a simple google search will tell you.

off topic a bit, i actually saw a laptop with the CPU cover removed on the bottom and it had a 478 socket in it, i was a little surprised i didnt know they had S478 in laptops, makes me wonder, whats in mine? its an old P4

I can't tell right of the back go get CPU-Z and it will tell u the socket type

I see, its socket 754. Now It was a pain in the *** but I got to the chip. Its a single core Turion, can I put a dual core Turion (same socket 754) in this thing? Its an HP pavilion dv5000 series.

Hello,

All AMD Turion processors (single core) use Socket 754 (ML and MT series), apart from one model which uses Socket S1, and that's the AMD Turion MK-36.

As already posted, all AMD Turion X2 (dual core) processors use Socket S1. So, you can't put an AMD Turion X2 (dual core) processor in your system I'm afraid. You'll either have to settle with what you've got, or you could upgrade to a higher clocked single core Turion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom