ide cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

racertified

Solid State Member
does anyone know for sure what the effective distance is for an ide cable, i was talking to someone the other day that said anything over 6 feet is pretty much useless, because the signal won't travel that far, does anyone know if this is true?

The effective distance is how long the longest cable you can find is. But for having an IDE hardrive 6 feet away you might want SATA cuz that would be a little slow at that distance.

well, what i'm doing is actually taking apart my xbox, and putting it in my car. i'm planning on mounting the dvd-rom in the front console, and leaving the motherboard and hard drive in the trunk, the only problem is that i can find any length of ide on the internet, but it'd be custom made, and i'm not sure that it would work or not. but i'll look into the SATA thanks for the help

yes

AndrewtheGreat said:
The effective distance is how long the longest cable you can find is. But for having an IDE hardrive 6 feet away you might want SATA cuz that would be a little slow at that distance.

you're not going to find cables that are 6 feet. you must mount the whole console where people can get to it. you do not have much choice unless you only play 1 game than you could mount it in the trunk

well, i've found a place that makes custom ide cables up to 25ft, but i'm just wondering if it's actually feasable that it will work like that.

i was also thinking about getting a convertor, but i'm thinking that i'd need to get two since the dvd-rom is ide only, so if i do that, does anyone have any suggestions as to what wire would be best to use from the convertor? the only thing to consider is that space is kind of an issue. thanks again for all the help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom