HP Recovery Disk Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan23

Beta member
I made a Recovery disk for my HP. And I want to put the new upgrade I just got for Vista. I got the express upgrade because I bought my desktop during that period. But, if I even go back to XP, I use those disks, but how do I use them, just boot them right when I start the computer? And I also have a press F10 Recovery or something like that when the HP Pav front comes when I boot up the computer, what exactly does it do? I also have a C: drive and then there's a D: drive named HP_Recovery.. what exactly does that one do? So which one would I use if I wanted to restore XP?

Thanks!

It depends on the type of cds you have. Some HP desktops have a hidden install partition which allows you to reinstall the operating system off the drive. Often they will give you a single cd that boots you to that partition, then the reinstall process begins.
Since you have a drive called "HP_Recovery", i'd assume this is the option that your model comes with.

However, often they will give you a series of "recovery cds" which contain an image of an operating system. Usually there's like 4 or 5 cds. It's the same idea as the recovery partion, just in cd format. Just boot to disc one, and follow the on screen instructions.

Then there's the option that I favor, sometimes they give you an "Operating system cd." and a "driver disc". You use the operating system cd as you would any windows xp cd to install the Operating system, then use the drivers disc once the OS is up and running. Install pretty much everything on it, and you're good to go.

It depends on the type of cds you have. Some HP desktops have a hidden install partition which allows you to reinstall the operating system off the drive. Often they will give you a single cd that boots you to that partition, then the reinstall process begins.
Since you have a drive called "HP_Recovery", i'd assume this is the option that your model comes with.

However, often they will give you a series of "recovery cds" which contain an image of an operating system. Usually there's like 4 or 5 cds. It's the same idea as the recovery partion, just in cd format. Just boot to disc one, and follow the on screen instructions.

Then there's the option that I favor, sometimes they give you an "Operating system cd." and a "driver disc". You use the operating system cd as you would any windows xp cd to install the Operating system, then use the drivers disc once the OS is up and running. Install pretty much everything on it, and you're good to go.
Well I'm taking about the one's that I had to make myself through the HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator. HP doesn't give out XP restore disks. They make you make them yourself through a program called HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator. So, I used DVD's and had to make 3. So, I just boot up my computer and pop the disk in and follow the instructions?

I don't want to restore my computer right now, but since I might install my Vista Upgrade, just in case I need to go back to XP incase of any problems on Vista because I heard there are a lot of things wrong with it. Just want to see how it would work before I install Vista and then have to go back and don't know how.

Thanks for the help guys!

Well I'm taking about the one's that I had to make myself through the HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator. HP doesn't give out XP restore disks. They make you make them yourself through a program called HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator. So, I used DVD's and had to make 3. So, I just boot up my computer and pop the disk in and follow the instructions?

I don't want to restore my computer right now, but since I might install my Vista Upgrade, just in case I need to go back to XP incase of any problems on Vista because I heard there are a lot of things wrong with it. Just want to see how it would work before I install Vista and then have to go back and don't know how.

Thanks for the help guys!

yes you can use them to restore to it's store bought condition. depending on which computer you get, you will get different option. sometimes you get discs, something you make them, sometimes you go to the restore partition and sometime you will get a combination of them.

I got the xp disc, the recovery disc and the driver disc with my hp 2200microtower 3 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom