Running Sata 2 drive in IDE mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Just had a couple questions. My motherboard shows that I am running my Sata 2 HDD in IDE mode. The manual says to run the Sata 2 drive in Sata 2 mode I need to make a driver disk. My two questions:

1. Is there a speed difference if I reinstall my OS and set the HDD to sata 2 mode?

2. I actually slipstreamed the Sata 2 drivers onto my XP CD. If I reinstall using that CD will I need to do anything special now or can I just change the setting in the BIOS to Sata 2 and reinstall. I recall when using the driver disk (which I have never done) that you need to hit the F6 key at the prompt when windows starts installing, will I need to do that if the drivers are slipped onto the installation CD?

It's an Asrock 939 Dual VSTA motherboard. If you have any ideas, just let me know. It says in the BIOS the Sata 2 Western Digital Drive is running in IDE mode. It has an option to enable Sata 2. I'm just afraid to change it, and the manual seems to make it clear that if you want to run your Sata drive in IDE mode no sata disk is necessary, but running it in Sata 2 mode requires a driver disk. I'm not sure what this means.

I take it you dont want to reinstall windows. The SATA preformance is much better than IDE.
As for just enabling sata you should be able to try it and reboot.If it dosn't work go back into and switch it back to IDE mode. I'll look around somemore and get back to ya.

RE: As to everywhere I've looked around you'll probably need to do a reinstall . But you can try to just switch it, but I dont think it will see the drive without installing the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom