Help with Connecting Drives/Fan Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMyster

Baseband Member
I started building my pc recently. Anyway, right now all I need to do is get my fans to work while my drives are connected (dvd/cd drive + floppy).

I asked some pc tekkies around me, and they said they never heard of this problem, one of them even suggested buying a new psu.

So here's the problem. My fans (3x 120mm + 1x40mm) + stock cpu fan all work normally, but when I plug one of the power cords into the dvd/cd rw drive, the motherboard emits a red light from somewhere and ALL the fans suddenly turn off.

I don't know whats going on. I don't think it's my power supply because it's 430w and my drive wouldn't take up that much watts.

Please reply asap.

-Matt

Hello,

This may be a stupid question, but are you plugging in the molex connector to the optical drive when the power is off...?

Make sure the ide cable is plugged in correctly and your techie friends are right try another psu. If its a 430 generic anything is possible. Does the pc boot and does the drive work?

i havent even set it up yet...im in the process of finishing up my build. All I need is to get the drives + fans to work and test er' out. Then if everythings fine Id just need to install some software and im good

****!!! this really sucks. I don't think its my psu, but i dont wanna spend $50 on a psu if its not the psu. This shouldn't be happening. And furthermore i hooked it up to 2 more 120mm fans, so now its hooked up to 3x120mm fans + 1x40mm + stock cooling fan + vga fan, so it can't be the psu because it wouldn't work when i had 2 fans running.

Make sure the ide cable is plugged in correctly and your techie friends are right try another psu. If its a 430 generic anything is possible. Does the pc boot and does the drive work?

my ide cable wouldnt affect my psu if its not hooked up correctly. I believe it is hooked up correctly though.

I just tried running again, same thing.

Fans start up for like 5 seconds, then motherboard emits a red light + a beep and then everything turns off.

Please help.

Without the dvd/cd drive connected, can your computer start?
Also what are your parts?

Yes, without it connected, everything works. Please note, i haven't set it up to a montior yet. I am in the PROCESS of building a new pc.

This is the dvd/cd drive i have

NCIX.com - Buy Pioneer DVR-112D Black DVD-RW 18X6X18 DVD+RW 18X8X18 DL 10X IDE OEM DVD Burner No Software - DVR-112DBK In Canada.

Btw is it a dvd + cd rw drive? Can I use it to view cds, burns cds + dvd's and watch dvd's? Or is it just a burner?

And this is the PSU I have

Cooler Master - eXtreme Power 430W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom