Athlon 64 X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApolloIV

In Runtime
Well guys i'm going to be on my second build soon, my brother finally wants a built PC and so far I've decided on everything but a CPU. I'm thinking about going with this:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2.4GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail.

I would like some input of what you guys think about this CPU. From everything I've seen and read it seems a like good solid choice. Their are some other good combo deals with Motherboards but I'm not sure if i want to buy a OEM product.

Its a good choice if you just want to upgrade your CPU and use everythign else in your Sig.

But if you want to build a bottom to top new build then C2D is the way to go.

So the question remains is this just an upgrade or a new build. And whats the total budget.
IF its an upgrade what parts do you want to upgrade.

If its a new build whats your budget and what parts will be keeping.
And most importantly whats your current power supply?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. This is going to be an entire new build. He wants to spend around $700-$900. This is what I had in mind:

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor - Retail
MoBo: Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Desktop Memory - Retail
VideoCard: Newegg.com - XFX GeForce 7900GT PVT71GUQF3 Video Card - Retail
HD: Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
Case: Newegg.com - JUST PC 707ATXBK Black / Silver Computer Case With Side Panel Window - Retail

He hasnt decided on a case yet so i'm just throughing that one in here. That all comes out to be around $850 includeding shipping.

E6300
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
GeIL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
Keep the video Card
For the hard drive just find one with a 16MB Cache

I still don't see a power supply listed.. And don't tell me youll be using the camewithcase one. Because its a POS.

Take a look at my power supply guide in my Sig.

E6300
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
GeIL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
Keep the video Card
For the hard drive just find one with a 16MB Cache

I still don't see a power supply listed.. And don't tell me youll be using the camewithcase one. Because its a POS.

Take a look at my power supply guide in my Sig.

Ste's right. If you are building from scratch, you are better off going C2D. I'm no Intel fanboy, seeing as my current build is AMD. The bottom line is that a C2D is going to give you a better bang for your buck at this time.

That's not to say that if you built an AMD system, that it'll be crap, though. Just that Intel has a better price:performance ratio right now.

case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

HDD
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Video
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card - Retail

PSU
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 450W Power Supply - Retail

Ram
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail

Mobo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

All this comes to $745 in my basket. Make SURE you get that X1950XT as it's much more powerful than a 7900GT for not much more at all. Get the G.Skill ram as it is really cheap for the performance it will offer.

You can upgrade the HDD but keep that Mobo unless you need more Features. If you need more features such as external SATA get a P5B-E.

If you want to do some serious overclocking pay $20 more for a stick of DDR2-800 G.Skill

The Case isn't flashy but it is the best case for the money there is. If you want a flashier case that is just as good look for a Xion Xon-103.

Try to get 2GB of RAM into the budget even if it means that you need to get a less of make.

Just to echo really, Core 2 Duo is the better performing chip. The 8800GTX also offers DX10 capabilities.

Thanks for the info guys, i was debating between AMD and Intel but sounds like i 'll just go with Intel. He just wants 1Gb stick of ram for now and eventually put another in, as for a PSU I haven't really decided. I've never looked at Radeon's, I've been more towards that Geforce I have listed. But its late and I'm half asleep but I'll make some more decisions tomorrow. Thanks again.

sigh.
x2 3600 costs 89.00.
will likely overclock to 3ghz with the right mobo.
100.00 less than e6300.
best price/performance ratio..aka bang feryerbuck.
but the build these guys have picked out is a pretty good one for the money.
keep the gskill ram though, woot woot sora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom