8800GTS now or later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I'm thinking of getting an 8800GTS 320mb. Should I get it now? or will the price go down after the release of the other 8 series.

If you have the money I would get one now as they are pretty cheap and I can't see them going down much even with the release of the new cards.

Considering the new line is going to be released with in a couple of months i would wait if you can.

I just struggled with this as my piece of crap Leadtek 6800GT just died on me. I needed to make a quick decision to get my computer up and running. I went with a 7900 GS from eVGA and so far so good. Delivers better performance than what I had in every category (which wasn't too bad till it died for no reason) and seems to have good support. I was tempted by the 8800 series, but I figure I'll upgrade more than my vid card when it comes time to dive into Vista (need to get new MB, dual-core, etc). And I'm happy to wait till they find out what's wrong with vista before I blow the cash.

My usage is general computer stuff, and I play WoW with pretty much all settings maxed on the new card, if that helps. So far so good.

Cheers

K

(sig is kinda off, sry)

2 reasons to wait:

1. The new DX10 Cards are coming soon, so u will have more options.
2. Quarter 2 is coming soon (couple of weeks) which means some price drops.

If you have the money spend it, but prices should go down a little in a little while. I wouldn't get a 320mb if you have a high resolution screen. Just a warning.

It is unlikely that the GTS320 will go down much more then the $260 (after rebates) it costs now. I don't think it'll ever go down to under $240 or so because they will just stop making them. The 8600GTS is supposed to retail at $200-$250 so a little while after they come out, I wouldn't expect to see any 8800GTS's being sold. And yeah, if you have a high resolution screen (more then 12x10/14x9) you should get a 640mb unless you plan to upgrade pretty soon again.

So basically, I would say get it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom