MSI P6N Sli-Fi and some good ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello All, a friend of mine just ordered the MSI P6N,
Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI-FI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

and still needs some Ram. I checked the MSI site and the supported ram list seemed pretty thin.

Can anyone tell me if this G.Skill Ram will work for that board?
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Or, if you own the board or have used it and can recommend some workable Ram through NewEgg that would be great too :) Seems that a lot of the boards out there are pretty funny about Ram. Just looking for 2x1gb. The CPU is an E6400 that will be overclocked.

Thank you for any help.

great choice on both the ram and board. Don't worry so much about ram issues with mobos you hear so much...usually that's just the dumb people on egg's fault. Yes that ram will work with that mobo just fine and G.Skill ROCKS.

Thank you, Sora. I think you may have even originally recommended that Ram for use on another build with a Gigabyte 965 board :)

Instead of making a new post, Sora (or anyone else checking out the thread), if you are following up on this one, do you feel this cooler is good for the E6400/E6600?
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

Has great reviews, and it sounds like if you take your time with the installation it's not much more difficult then the stock cooler.

May as well get the cooler nowas opposed to having to pull the motherboard out in 3-5 months when it's time to overclock and install it then.

I own that exact same cooler and as I payed $29.99 for it at Christmas....prices have went up on cooling.

It keeps my E6300 at 1.456 volts on the core around 58 max load, which is fine as most will agree a C2D is completely fine if it's under 60. I'm able to get a 3.22ghz on mine.

I just wanted to follow up and say that MSI and Gskill have told me that this ram is not supported by the board. So it's RMA time. Figured I better post the conclusion in case someone else decided to get that ram for this board. Won't even POST.

first off, the board has hidden settings for overclocking. You have to go to the advance cmos options, then cpu options, hit f4, and disable the C1E and then go to the top right option in the main bios and you turn off the intel thing. Then go to the drop down menu that gives you the auto/linked/manual options. Click manual.

The only things you will need to edit are the FSB, which is quad-pumped. If you want say... 2.8GHz on an e6400, then you take 2800 / 8 x 4 = 1400 = FSB
needed.

Be forewarned, my FSB will not boot at over 1500. :(

Holy sheet.. Those G.skills are only $130 now!? They were around $165 a month ago!

By the way, you can get that Freezer 7 Pro from svc.com for $20. But if you want to pay $40, you can get the Scythe Ninja from Newegg which should be a little better.

G.Skill has been KILLING their prices!!!

They are so highly recommended on every forum that I know that everyone just buys them now so they make enough money to where they can lower the price haha. Yea at that price its hard not to get them....thanks G.Skill for lowering the ram prices for us >.<

Yeah, I'm totally depressed I have to RMA this ram. But if the darn thing won't POST with the RAM, it won't POST. As good and cheap as the ram is, it won't do me much good staring at my blank Samsung LCD :p

There's a chance both sticks ARE defective, but MSI and Gskill both said not supported on the MSI P6N SLI-FI so I give up.

All I know is going from 2GBs of ram in my old system, to running with 512MBs now is painful. But I'm being pessimistic, at least I can use the PC until I pic some supported Ram :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom