Overclocking my x1950pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNternal

Beta member
I recently just picked up a x1950pro 256mb video card and was looking into overclocking it. I have never overclocked a video card before and I was wondering how high I should overclock it. I can list my specs if needed.

you can overclock as far as it will go without causing you issues i.e lock ups and artifacts. you can't really damage a card by overclocking, at least not without putting in some major effort to do so :p. download ATITool and give it a shot. you want to adjust the sliders on the right hand side only ("3D Performance"). my suggestion is do the memory and the GPU overclocking seperately so you can tell which one is causing any issues. work it up the GPU's slider carefully in say 5-10MHz increments, hit set clock and scan for artifacts. once you've found the highest speed it will go to without artifacts in ATITool you will probably have to back down about 10-20MHz from there for it to be stable in games. once you've found the highest the GPU will clock to keep it at that level and start overclocking the memory and scanning for artifacts.

I really appreciate your help. Just one last question. When I am scanning for artifacts how long should I let it scan before raising the GPU up 10 mhz

just give it 30 seconds or so for the first 100MHz (not sure about the overclockability of the x1950pro). then start giving it a few minutes for each scan. when you think you've found the highest stable speed give it a nice long run of perhaps an hour or so. there really isn't a set method to overclocking, once you've learned the basics and become comfortable with it you'll develop your own personal technique.

check online, most ppl post norm specs and oc'ing specs and u have a safe oc, if they have the same video cooling, and same original clock speed

though i heard the x1950 is not that overclocking friendly. The similar priced product to x1950 Pro i think is 7900GS from nvidia and it runs fairly cool.

The X1950PRO doesn't overclock well at all. The 7900GS however which is a few bucks cheaper OC's like a crazy card lmao.

The X1950PRO will overclock a bit but it's still quite fast enough without overclocking it. It's fine really.

the 7900GS is pretty even with an X1950PRO after overclocking..and since the X1950PRO is a few bucks more you could go either way.

I'm sorry to be off topic, but I was wondering if the VF900, is compatible with the X1950PRO. On the compatibility list, it says X1900 series, and just wanted to make sure, this also means the X1950 series. I'm not really going to overclock the card. It's just that I heard about heating issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom