Brand new computer won't start up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jafsen

Beta member
Hi all!

I really need your help here...

I bought a new pc and built it up and actually managed to get it running. My problem is that when I was installing the windows and the machine had been running smoothly for ½h the screen went black and it seemed not to give any signal to the display at all, but the machine was still running. I booted it and it wont start up again.

Or actually, it starts, but there is nothing on the screen. All the components are working (I think) all the fans are running, it seems not to have any faults. But there is nothing on the screen, it does not start. When it happend, I opened the case and looked for a problem, I did not see one until I noticed that one screw had fall of the MB and another was loose. (these 2 screws did not tighten when I mounted the MB, so they were hanging loose from the beginning). So I took the screws away, tightened them with new ones, that worked and tried again, the pc did not start.

I loosened all the components besides the cpu and cooler and mounted them back again and tried, same story, no picture on screen, nothing.

So, short, my new pc is running great for ½h-> the screen goes black->I find 1 screw loose and one that had jumped off -> the pc does not start up anymore, but all the components seems to be running good.

The specs are:

CPU, Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz, Socket 775
+ Noctua NH-U12F cooler
VGA, Saphire Radeon X1950XT 256MB GDDR3
+ Arctic Cooling Accelero X2
HD, Seagate Barracuda 320GB
MB, Abit AB9 socket 775
Mem, Corsair 2x1G
PS, Seasonic 500W, S12-500W
Case, Antec Performance One P180
+ Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20"

Is something broke? Did the screws have anything to do with the problem? Should I try to change the MB? Have any of you guys any idea what is going on?

Thx in advance!

JH

Its possable that you shorted the motherboard. Did you use thermal paste on the CPU?

sPlAtOiD said:
Its possable that you shorted the motherboard. Did you use thermal paste on the CPU?

He might of shorted out the mobo by that screw falling and hitting to metal components together. But thermal paste... when u buy a new Cpu they come with heatsinks with thermal paste already on them

-check if Everything is seated correctly like RAM is attached with those two leavers, video card, etc...

It's a new computer so it had thermal paste on it. The biggest issue is the mobo, is it possible to get it damaged but still running, as in all the leds are ok, it's not having any weird sounds, no error codes etc.

Could the screw do such damage that it seems to be nothing wrong but the mobo is still ****ed? I'm just wondering what my next step is, to try to change the mobo or other parts.

I have not cleared the CMOS if it would help, I'll try that first.

JH

i doubt the screws hurt anything... sometimes computers are just wierd try screwing around w/ reseating the ram a few times in diff slots etc wierd stuff like that happens w/ peoples computers to me all the time and its almoast always ram and sometimes it makes me look smart that i fixed them even tho technically i didnt do jack s#$#!

lol, this happened to me before!

well, first thing to try is a different video card, because if the screw fell, the video card is like a big platfrom that the screw can land on and has many places to short on. and when u opened ur case, you probably tilted it and it moved, so its not always the first thought. so try a diff video card and report back ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom