ram voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lower the voltage may be better for the chip but the higher voltage will allow better OC options.

For instance .1v may get you another 50mhz or so on your chip.

So to put it simple. The Higher the voltage from stock, the higher it will overclock.

Sora said:
The Lower the voltage may be better for the chip but the higher voltage will allow better OC options.

For instance .1v may get you another 50mhz or so on your chip.

So to put it simple. The Higher the voltage from stock, the higher it will overclock.

hmm i see, n reason for DDR3 at lower voltage but higher frequencies means that when it comes out, ppl will be able to OC it to much higher frequencies then DDR2 can, right?

well if it's OCing that is good for ur RAM by raising the voltage, then so be it. Just one problem thought, the heat spreaders on high voltage RAM, around 2.1 n up, dont u think we need something better then a heat spreader to support those higher voltages that u set ur RAM to? Like heatsinks or something?

No, heatspreaders these days work on chips work until as stated around 2.4v

Heat spreaders can keep them plenty cool enough until then and most RAM that is rated at 2.0-2.1 stock are already at really high speeds or really tight timings so not much overclock is needed.

In reply to the ram you say you are getting do NOT get Corsair XMS2. I repeat do NOT as the proMOS chips in them aren't really that good and they are quite expensive. XMS2 has HORRIBLE Price/performance ratio honestly and they have a hard time going past DDR2-1000 as you see Nagasama is having.

Ask him yourself what to get right now and he knows as everyone else that G.Skill is the best. If your getting a new system and want good ram I suggest one of these two

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231084

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231114

Both will max out an overclock on a system with the HK's (white ones) being a little faster.

Still don't get XMS2 over say G.Skill or even Firestix >.>

Sora said:
No, heatspreaders these days work on chips work until as stated around 2.4v

Heat spreaders can keep them plenty cool enough until then and most RAM that is rated at 2.0-2.1 stock are already at really high speeds or really tight timings so not much overclock is needed.

In reply to the ram you say you are getting do NOT get Corsair XMS2. I repeat do NOT as the proMOS chips in them aren't really that good and they are quite expensive. XMS2 has HORRIBLE Price/performance ratio honestly and they have a hard time going past DDR2-1000 as you see Nagasama is having.

Ask him yourself what to get right now and he knows as everyone else that G.Skill is the best. If your getting a new system and want good ram I suggest one of these two

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231084

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231114

Both will max out an overclock on a system with the HK's (white ones) being a little faster.

Still don't get XMS2 over say G.Skill or even Firestix >.>

wow thx for warning me, n i thought CORSAIR was a good brand, correct me if im wrong on that.

thx for the links n both r the same, but differ timings. One is 5-5-5-15, n the other is 4-4-3-5, both a .1v difference. Which one should i go with? I would love to OC the RAM n actually get the timings down, maybe even save myself money. If not, then i have no problem getting the 4-4-3-5, just have to OC it more to have less timing :).

2.4v is the danger zone for most or all DDR2 800 SDRAM, right?

Corsair do make good ram, just OVERPRICED gaming RAM. Their value ram is excellent but their XMS2 line is just overpriced to ****.

It doesn't really matter as both will go plenty fast as you need. I have the NR green and they hit DDR2-1130 at 2.2v 5-5-5-15.

The HK's are a little better though so to be safe you could just get those as they are amazing chips for the price.

Still it doesn't matter and you could just save yourself 20 bucks.

EDIT: Not all as Cell Shock ram can hit 3.2v....quite amazing. it all depends on the quality of the RAM but for the most part 2.4 is the voltage most people don't like to try and hit.

Sora said:
Corsair do make good ram, just OVERPRICED gaming RAM. Their value ram is excellent but their XMS2 line is just overpriced to ****.

It doesn't really matter as both will go plenty fast as you need. I have the NR green and they hit DDR2-1130 at 2.2v 5-5-5-15.

The HK's are a little better though so to be safe you could just get those as they are amazing chips for the price.

Still it doesn't matter and you could just save yourself 20 bucks.

EDIT: Not all as Cell Shock ram can hit 3.2v....quite amazing. it all depends on the quality of the RAM but for the most part 2.4 is the voltage most people don't like to try and hit.

o i see. Well, is there a difference from 5-5-5-15 performance from 4-4-3-5? If I OCed the 5-5-5-15 RAM, n of course save myself money, it wouldnt be no difference to the 4-4-3-5?

i understand that lower timings is better n all, but from what ive read about RAM on these forums, the lower, the more 'tight' the timings r. 'Tight' as in, what? Not good anymore?

EDIT:

here r my timings, reading from CPU-Z top to bottom so bear with me:

-Frequency: 174.5 MHz
-FSB: DRAM: CPU/11
-timings: 2.5-3-3-10
-Command Rate: 2T
-DRAM Idle Timer: 16 clocks

Both will hit CL4 at say DDR2-1000 but the HK may have tighter timings in 4 say 4-4-3-9 opposed to 4-4-4-10 or 4-4-4-12.

In the end it doesnt matter what the other timings are nearly as much as the first one, the CAS.

Sora said:
Both will hit CL4 at say DDR2-1000 but the HK may have tighter timings in 4 say 4-4-3-9 opposed to 4-4-4-10 or 4-4-4-12.

In the end it doesnt matter what the other timings are nearly as much as the first one, the CAS.

but isnt tighter timings........bad in a way?

EDIT:

ive decided to get the NR, so i can save myself money. Thx for the help Sora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom