$450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks much! I found out from my dad that there were a few upgrades, so let me amend that:

Monorail PC Product Line
6200 Line, Int. 3D Aud & Vid, 3.5" Floppy
Intel Celeron 366-MHz with 128k Cache
256MB PCxxx SDRAM (1 DIMM) (Not 32MB, not sure of speed)
(Shared Memory: 8MB Dedicated to video)
28.6 GB Ultra ATA Smart EIDE Hard Drive (Not 4.3!!! YAY!)
MS Windows 98 (Fresh install!)
1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
40x EIDE CD-ROM
56k v.90 PCI Modem
~~~

I'm thinking Mobo/VGA/CPU come first, RAM second, and then another hard drive... What do you guys think?

EDIT: Actually, Windows XP comes first, Mobo/VGA/CPU second, RAM Third, and then HD... What about that order?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=3707169

X2 3800
AM2 Board w/ 4 RAM slots
7600GT
1GB DDR2-677
and more

$441

I was thinking of the X2 3600 but then you need a cooler for it too...I decided to go with 1GB as 1 gig these days is pretty needed but you could just go with 512 and use the extra 30 bucks somewhere else.

Still that is a powerful computer and will play most games at say 1024x840 Res on high.

If you want to really cut some more cost but not performance then he could always go with a cheaper case and lower watts as the 7600GT only uses 35w I believe and it will easily run on a 350w PSU. The case doesn't look as cool though of coarse but hey at this low of a budget he shouldn't be complaining lol.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811147010

I bet once his dad see's he can get a GOOD Dual Core X2 3800 (not a crappy PD) a GIG of ram rather than 512, a pretty powerful video card and stuff he may just extend his budget to 500 and then you could fit a 7900GS in heh.

Still the Apevia case is really nice so you can stay either way, just depends on what he wants.

EDIT: Just Though I'd mention that with that motherboard you can overclock that X2 3800 pretty nicely.

Sora, thanks alot for all your help, but I've already set up our old Monorail; after four or five hours of installing some old games, putting in an old VGA, installing drivers, reinstalling two games, installing Flash Player, and then reinstalling Flash Player... I'm hellbent on getting this one to him XD

Oh, and sora? I can't view your wish list T.T But, if what you said is what you had on there, I think that's what I'll do ^.^ (This is an edit: I thought you were recommending just buying a new PC! XD This is EDIT #2: I found it ^.^ )

Oh yeah, that's after we navigated a formatted disk with just DOS and a floppy drive. That was fun. </sarcasm> (That would've been no biggy if my dad had just let me do it my way, though.)

Jerry, yeah, I pretty much plan on upgrading him to the point where the only old thing is the case, but hey, he can spray paint that to his liking, as well ^.^

Also, have you guys heard of the Vista Transformation Pack? Well, there's an XP transformation pack at the same place; If this works correctly, the OS is at the back of the list.
So, order of upgrade:

(1) Mobo/CPU --> (2) RAM (Current RAM Is incompatible)--> (3) VGA --> (4) Hard Drive --> (5) OS

Thanks alot, everyone!
~John

Okay, Windows XP Home should do him fine, as that's about the only thing he's ever seen ^.^

What is the best performance/price card for under $80? I was looking at the 7600GS, but I realized that the biggest thing he'd be using this for (at the moment) would be WarCraft 3, so I considered sticking a 7300GS in instead, and getting a slightly better motherboard.

EDIT: Also, which of these two would you go with?

Newegg.com - EPoX EP-5P945C LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR 945GZ Micro 775 LGA 775 Intel 945GZ Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EDIT2: I've changed a few things, here they are:

Case/PSU
Hard Drive
Opt. Drive
RAM
Processor
OS

Now, you're all thinking "OMG CASE/PSU!!!" but apparently this PSU has a good reputation (amongst the people that it didn't come DOA...), but if you can find a PSU for $20 and a cool-looking, inexpensive case, I'll switch them. *sigh*... NewEgg sometimes has too many options...

that 2nd mobo you listed is a micro-atx motherboard.

Joowan, I've pretty much abandoned ides previous to the third page. Anyways, why would the form factor be a problem, especially when it's smaller?

Everyone, would this be a good card on a budget? I'm trying to shave off as many dollars as I can... Their maximum budget is $450, but when I talked to their dad, it turns out that he'd rather not spend more than $300, hopefully $250. I've got it at $268.98, with rebates. If I switch to that one, it will be $249.51. Both of those are with shipping.

EDIT: Does anyone know where I could find an inexpensive Windows 2000 or Windows XP? Inexpensive as in <$70

Click Here!

Okay, I was looking down the list of Graphics Cards compatible with FFXI (that's my standard for comparison; the most graphic-intense game I've ever played), and I saw (at the very bottom of the list) the Radeon 9200 Series.

Now, I realize that it probably won't play anything at the highest settings; That's not the purpose. At this point, it just has to play Warcraft III without lagging (offline, at least. Online, just not a lot of lag). Also, it's a PCI card (not PCI-E x16), which means that they can buy that first. I thought they might need a new PSU, with 20+4 pins (The old mobo had 20 Pins, the new one has 24), so I added one in... The extra 4 pins won't damage anything when not in use, right?

I added in XP Home, as well, and it came out at $360.95.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom