Partitioning Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepnkev

Solid State Member
I have a 320GB HD and plan on creating a partitioning scheme with a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition. What size should I create the system partition XP will reside on? My other partitions will be like the following:

1. System (C)
2. Applications (E)
3. Games (G)
4. Data (D)

I plan on changing the DVD Drive letter to Z or something right after XP is installed. I know applications will have Microsoft Office installed and other applications we use for scrapbooks and such. Does anyone have any recommendations on the other partitions?

Thanks,

For the system I would do ten because your apps are going to be installed on E. I would give apps and games each fifty, and he rest would go to data

I would set system to 20GB depending on how many applications you install and also Windows Updates, Antivirus Definitions, Etc but I think 10GB is too small, you gotta think down the road a lil bit, it may be good for now but what about 6 months from now???

Applications, give it 15GB to 25Gb more than the total size of all your applications you have now.

Games, same way as applications...

Data, give it the most

I have two partitions, even though I only have an 80 gig. I've got a 20 for Windows, and the sixty for everything else. Seems to work pretty good.

I've done it with a 5gb windows partition.
I set documents and settings, along with program files to be defaulted to a different drive. I never once had a problem with too little space on the windows partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom