**** me! my computers blown

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also live in the UK and yes we do use 240v, the problem is the switch tells the PSU how much is entering so it only transforms from 110v to 12v and 15v ect, but if you really have 240v going in, the transformer is not stepping down enough, BOOM, so 12v becomes like 25v and so on

ah you mean, that the switch just makes one use a certain number of coils of the transformer. so if you go for 230 v you get say 2n turns and for 110 v you get n turns

hence you would end up sending twice the amount of voltage into the mobo, floppy drive, actually everything. and i guess there are no fuses which will blow in case there is too much voltage going in.

yeah that is how transformers work, although i dont know what happens if the intake is 110v and you switch it to 240v. low power so no startup? but that would not cause any problem

I've seen sensors at the local computer store that plug into the atx power connector on the motherboard. I'm not exactly sure what it tests though.

yes, i think is the supply is 110 volts, and you turn the computer to accept 230 colts, no harm should be done, since al lthe equipment should be receiving half the volts they require

really i just needa know how i find out whats gone and whats ok in my computer i know theres tests u can do but i dunno how to do them... it was actually due for an upgrade as u can tell... say if the motherboards ****ed and i put a new graphics card and cpu in it would it **** these 2 up aswell? i cant smell any burn on motherboard and no chipset has ****ed up visually theres gotta be another way of finding out..

rookie1010 said:
5 other computers, you must be having a room dedicated to your machines, or a farm, hehe

i have four in my room and 2 downstairs simultanious downloads there not great spec ones but good for the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom