New Game Rig, feedback please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
I'm building a new gaming rig and would like some feedback on the components I'm choosing. I'd like suggestions on changes and why,. I'd like to stay in the $1600-2000 range (I'm buying it with my tax return :p )

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5400CZBOX (Will overclock as much as possible with mobo)

MoBo: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

GFX Card: EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card. (Only one for now, but in another few months I'll buy the second one four SLI Madness)

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit (Considering buying a second set as well, Mobo supports up to 4GB)

PSU: APEVIA ICEBERG ATX-IB680W-BL ATX12V / EPS12V 680W Power Supply (20+4 Pin, only two PCIe connectors though, for 2x GeForce 8800 I'll need for, just use adapters :p )

Display: 3x NEC Display Solutions 1940WCXM Black 19" 5ms DVI Wide screen LCD Monitor (I'll be adding a 4th screen, a Sony Bravia HDTV (30+ inches), once funds are sufficient.

Case: None yet, please recommend something cool enough to be associated with the set-up ;)

Cooling: Stock fans for now I guess, I want a good liquid cooling system but not sure what to buy. Obviously something without all these leak complaints in it's review (as well as all the pump failure reports).

I will be using it primarily for entertainment, but also for work. I own a blog called stealthytech and have been looking for a multi-screen setup to easily allow me to work (one screen for the blog, another for my sources, another for whatever else I may need it for).

Any suggestions would be great. I want to reduce bottlenecking any of the components, I'm afraid the proc is not going to fit in with the other performance parts.. Total cost so far is 1700. (That's with only one screen, for now).

I'd always reccomend and intel cpu, but to each his own. Also you should go w/ a 2gb kit of corsair or something, 1 gig really isn't enough to do much. Everything else looks great, also the 900 case is a great case.

Why an AMD? Intel clearly has the lead in performance right now and the only AMD's worth the money are X2 4200 and below.

You want to overclock an X2 which would be ok but an a Core 2 Duo overclock MUCH better and will be much faster.

SLI isn't worth it ever IMO...the amount extra you pay for a better PSU, SLI compatible mobo, and on cooling offset the money you save by going SLI later on.

I don't like SLI in the least...

Like others, unfortunate that I have to bring up the naggy reminder again, Intel is a better choice, but hey, it's up to you. Yes, HIGHLY recommended that you get 2 gig of ram, games are starting to pump up the gig requirement and more ram can't hurt you (maybe your wallet?). The case, make sure it's BIG. I'd go with Lian or Coolermaster, because of their nice cooling system and their size. But of course, there are some cases that are quite big like the Thermal Armor (Not Armor Jr.) Um.. that's it. What we recommend is examples of what you should get, so don't lean on what we suggest, search more on the same type of quality of what we suggested. Ugh, grammar.

I would say go with 2 x 1gb sticks of xms. 1gb of ram is probably going to hold your system back on high end gaming. I plan on rolling with a pair of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231114

your psu id would try for an antec or thermaltake. Ive heard some bad things about apevia psu's.

heres a psu I would reccomend:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371001

case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112116

and if you want to do watercooling check out www.koolance.com

woah!! I didn't even notice he had XMS2 in there!!! NO XMS!!

XMS2 is just destroyed in Price/Performance by any G.Skill

Go with the ram he posted

Antec have slipped in their PSU's and the only sensible one around that price is a Corsair.

Antec 900 is a good case as i have it, however i dont think it would be big enough to add water cooling on top of the huge 8800 gpu.
Just have a browse on some pc sites and whatever you like post here and people will tell you what they think.

And as everyone else said you cant settle for less that 2gigs of ram if you want to play top games, period!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom