My Computer Annual Plan: Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the:megalon

Baseband Member
Ever since last year, where computer gaming technology has grasped me ever so tightly, I've been obsessed and addicted to hardware and games relating to computers. (Go Newegg.) Besides prices, wonderful job and a loving and coping wife (hard to find, hm?) that bears with my obsession, computer technology is absolutely booming and rapid with discoveries, always updating and stepping it up a notch with games. So I decided every year, toward the end at Christmas, I would go on a spree with my savings at computers. The good thing is that I'm interested in my religion, surfing, a good and bonding social life, and computers; so basically my budget is great 'cause I buy ocassionaly on computers and sometimes surfboards. But anyway, I"m deciding to upgrade my computer every year at Christmas. Currently I have:

Case: RaidMax Smilodon Mid Tower (Fits 8800Gtx And More)
CPU: C2D E6600 2.13x2 ( I really need to learn how to overclock)
GPU: 8800Gtx
Soundcard: Creative Labs: XtremeGamer
HardDrive: 250Gb Raptor
Memory: 2 Gigs Corsair 800
PSU: CoolerMaster Xtreme Powr 600 Watts 2x12V@18+20@
(Is this sufficient for my rig?)
Mobo: 680i Sli
Monitor: ViewSonic Gaming LCD (forgot model) 19"
(I know, 1600x1200 should be minimum for 8800gtx, or is 19" okay?"

And that's all I can think of right now..

But anyway, the real reason this thread is on right now is this question: With this rig, can I keep up for a year while smooth sailing through games that pop up for 2007? Can this rig be a great rig or will new items like 8950, or whatever it is, will surpass the 8800 by great ammounts or new CPU's coming out and even the new DDR3 Ram? Please advise on my annual computer plan. Thank you.

That looks like a good plan, I don't know. But do they make a typical LCD 19in that goes to res's of 1600x1200?

Anyway, ya you will be able to play most games coming out in 07' very easily. Then next Christmas... who knows what goodies will be in store. :)

**NOTE** your signature is WAY too big, I just wanted to give you a heads up before the mods come and snatch it away. :D max size for a pic is 468x120 pixels

If you're looking for future proof kind of stuff, I would suggest a widescreen. All the new games have support for them and they look much better.

Looks good, the E6600 will easily last you well over a year, as will the 8800GTX.
It doesnt matter if you cant run a game at 1600x1200, games will look great even at 1280x1024 on a 17" screen.

Your advice is greatly appreciated jonny, ferrari and lancec. Input is great. Anyway, yes, I'm starting to lean towards widescreen, ( lancec, 1600x1200 is what people have been advising me for 8800Gtx, my 19" cannot carry that res. :eek: ) since it is bigger and much more pixels and contrast ratio, I'm just afraid of plunging into a monitor that some games might not support, but ferarri is correct: since people have been buying widescreens I'm sure that games in '07 will see the need to support them. To be truthful, I like my plan; I would have gotten another 8800Gtx for SLI to guarantee extra reliability on my annual plan, but yeah: I'm good. Thank you. I'll change the sig, thank you for the heads up.

P.S. If there's more advise: well, then advise me :D

For a Year no rig can really keep up on max, med or low settings most likely, i suggest you upgrade within a six month period and then you should be set for sure.

It is all personal preference, and how much on the bleeding edge of technology you want to be.... My gaming rig in my sig was purchased & built around July-August 2005, and it is still going strong. I play WoW & Battlefied 2 right now, all at max settings, max resolution on a 19" SONY LCD monitor with no issues. I understand that it isn't top of the line, but to me, the cost of 'upgrading' to top of the line just to get higher FPS and such isn't justified by the gain.

Good luck man!

First off, six month upgrade would be much, much to pricey. Also, the hassle: six months is simply not enough time to collect enough money, research the top products, and etc. Within six months I'm sure that something more "better" would pop up in the market, with one year, I have plent of time to review the year's products and compare them to the new products to come. I'm not going to buy the best thing of the year, but look into the beginning of next year's products and see if it's a great choice. Ya know? Basically, it's about keeping the flow of upgrading at a steady pace that I'm capable of keeping up with. But thank you for your input. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom