Confused about which video card to get!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarplyrstevo

In Runtime
So I'm currently in the process of building my first computer so I am still pretty new at all this stuff. For a while now, I've had my eye on the EVGA 8800GTS 320mb but a friend of mine told me that I should get an ATI card instead (he said ATI works better with windows or whatever...im not too sure). He told me to look into the ATI X1950 XTX but it is a little too much price wise. I was looking into the ATI X1950 XT 256mb. One thing that I am thinking about is the EVGA is DirectX 10 and ATI is DirectX 9. I have no idea what that is so please help. Any suggestions?

My budget is around $300 but no more than $350. Like I've said in the past, I am no gamer, however I still want to have the ability to play games.

hmm, your friend is wrong, both cards work great with windows, if u have to choose between dx9 and dx10, choose the dx10 one. also, maybe u should add another 50 $ and buy a normal gts and not the 320 mb. good luck.

totally go for the 8800 the ati cards are totally outdated, the R600 though has yet to show itself as the first Ati Dx10 Card

spect21 said:
hmm, your friend is wrong, both cards work great with windows, if u have to choose between dx9 and dx10, choose the dx10 one. also, maybe u should add another 50 $ and buy a normal gts and not the 320 mb. good luck.

Got any links? If I searched correctly, the "normal" GTS is the 640mb version? Also it is actually $85 more.

I think your friend was referring to the lack of good nvidia drivers for Vista, which is true but will probably be fixed really soon.

i think its the vista drivers he speaks of, but Nvidia pwns with their dx 10 line kicking 1950's butt!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom