Dual Channel Ram Problem. Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playstation

Solid State Member
I am currently runnig P4 HT 3.0GHZ on a Machspeed 865PEDAP motherboard.
The MB has 2 memory slots, DIMM1 and DIMM2. I bought pair of dual channel kit brand new retail 2x512 (Kingston Value Ram). When I plug them both in, computer doesn't boot. But when I plug in DIMM1 only, it works. When I plug in DIMM2 only, it doesn't work. My gut feeling tells me that my DIMM2 slot is messed up but it could be a simple mistake.

I've tried to run dual channel with other matching sticks of memory prior to the dual channel kit i just bought, and it had the same outcome. Can someone help? Thankyou

When you said that DIMM 1 works, but not DIMM 2, have you tried using BOTH sticks in the DIMM 2 slot to rule out the possibility of a bad stick of ram?

That being said, it could be that the DIMM slot is bad, in which case you would want to RMA the motherboard if it is still within warrenty.

i want to try to flash the bios with update but i don't have a floppy drive. anyone have a clue?

I'd recommend doing what Ethereal_Dragon suggested first, and post with your results here.

If that still doesn't work, I'll have a link up in this post in a few minutes.

EDIT: Is this your Motherboard?

Click

Do a Ctrl+F for 865G.

Your motherboard would have:
Socket 478, AGP Slot, 3 PCI Slots, and 2 RAM Slots. Is that right?

that is correct. i just went ahead and exchanged the dual ram to single 1gb ram. i hear if u flash ur bios wrong, u pretty much lose ur motherboard for good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom