If it's good for gaming, is it good for graphic designers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLedet

In Runtime
Looking at a pretty nice graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150185

My question is...I'm not much of a gamer (and this card has great reviews for games), I'm curious if a graphics card is good for gaming, is it good for graphic designers? The computer I'm building will be my work station for web design and graphic design, and things will tend to get pretty heavy in 3Ds Max and ZBrush (3D modeling apps, just FYI)...

Do different video cards get made for different purposes? ie. video cards for gamers and video cards for designers...or are they all the same?

I appreciate the insight on this :)

I need dual dvi outputs. The ones within my pricelist were single output, and everything else is way more than I can afford for dual output.

Why would the selection I've made be a bad choice versus the ones you linked me to?

I'm just not sure if it's powerful enough to handle those graphic design software, because it's mainly a gaming graphic card.

get the latest Quadro FX 5600 or something like that n u will be good, but will cost u $3000 n the one down is the 4600 n costs $2000.

i can't afford 2k for a graphics card. this system isn't that high tech...my entire system without a graphics card is around 1,200...2k for a graphics card? no way...at least not for this one.....

If a graphics card performs well rendering 3D games and such, why would it make a difference in editing photos and using 3D modeling programs? To me, the graphics card i've chosen will work..but i'm looking for reasons why it won't work. I don't want to buy it under the impression that it will work for my needs, and then it turns out to be the total opposite of what I need.

I don't know but if you expect to do good graphic design then you'r going to have to expect to buy a decent card...I know that a few cards can do graphic design pretty well but the ones that will do it the best are of coarse the Quadro cards.

Gaming and graphics design programs are two completely different things. That card would most likely stutter and make things look like crap in an editing program compared to when you're playing halo with it. If you're looking to do intense editing and stuff of that nature then you need to buy that type of card or your programs simply won't run like you'd like them to.

Exactly...gaming cards are designed for gaming and cards like the Quadro are designed for graphic design it's as simple as that. It will work but probably not too well is all..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom